It's hot inside!!!

I have waited too long to replace my broken window a/c unit and now the heat is on. I'm desperate. The one I want (whirlpool 8000 BTU) claims to be Whirlpools quietest ever. The problem is no store in Los Angeles carries it. I am going to buy it direct from Whirlpool. Lowes and Home Depot carry the standard 6000 BTU's (and it's slim picking now) but they are all terribly LOUD.
Anyone care to comment on a good a/c unit?
--
Dave-Morris

I saw some nice air conditioners at Costco. Sharp brand. They have the window models (relatively cheap) and also some higher BTU floorstanding models that use air hoses instead of taking up the whole window.

If you buy a portable make sure it is a two pipe (air hose) type. With the single pipe ones you'll be throwing your money out the window.
I saw both single and double pipe models at Costco. I think one is 10,000 BTU the other one 14,000 BTU. Just curious why is single pipe so bad? Because of the lower BTU or is it less efficient with electricity?

It takes air from the room and then vents it outside. That causes outside air to find its way into the home. The ones with two hoses, uses one for the air intake and the other for the exhaust.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

With a single pipe design youre throwing out the baby with the bath water. In other words youre discharging the cold air that you used all that electricity to make along with the heat that youre trying to get rid of. With the two pipe system youre not touching your precious cold air, youre just re-circulating the outside air through the unit to get rid of the heat without it ever getting inside the living space.
message

Take a look at Consumer Reports. They rate many characteristics of ACs, include noise level.
Ask in the heating and air conditioning forum ... your chances are better.
--
WILLIAM21

That would be alt.hvac
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The OP is replying to themself giving advice?!!! WTF?!

No, 2 different people.