Is this broken outlet unsafe?

Yes, I realize they only cost $2 and I will replace it, but in principle...
I was installing a new outlet today and I heard some plastic break as I was putting the faceplate on. Seems my screw was too long for the outlet and it popped a little hole through the back.
I can't see that anything is really damaged (relating to the hot or neutral), and the only thing exposed is the ground. Any reason this should be unsafe?
Some outlets leave the back open, presumably for this reason. Why don't all?

Cracking a plate cover is not the same as cracking an outlet. Re-inspection is needed for what ever you "cracked' and determine it safe.

-- Oren

Well, I know what cracked. The too long screw popped a hole through the back of the outlet.

It may be perfectly safe today, but after a few uses, more may crack and it may not be safe.

Maybe not a pertinent question, but every outlet I've ever bought typically comes with the screws needed to install it - including the faceplate. Granted I only buy outlet sets. How long was this faceplate screw anyways - 2 inches?
To answer your question, if it were me, I'd buy a new outlet. I think Ed Palwalski (or however you spell that name) said it best - it might be fine today, but who knows tommorrow.

All three items were things I had in a bin... The screw is maybe an inch long. Obviously I needed a 3/4 screw.
I'm adding this to my list or reasons to always use metal boxes.
And how would that have prevented the outlet from punching through when a too long of screw was used?
--
Steve Barker

Any reason you should even ask? Like you said yourself, they cost less than two bucks. Just replace it. Unless your peace of mind is only worth a quarter.
--
Regards,