Is there a hinge like this?

Page 2 of 2
On 12/19/2004 10:36 AM MUADIB wrote:
(...something disparaging my manly home handyman skills.)
Etc., etc.
Muadib -- great to run into you, Chris Perdue, and Speedy Jim over in this NG!
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus

Just giving you a hard time, Mike. I haven't built any cabinets in my bathroom, so i don;t truely have room to talk.
I thought it interesting to see you here also.
You'll find John Willis here too. as on *the other* group.....
Sounds to me like you're making a go of it in a difficult situation too. Good luck.
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB

hey hey...i'm here...hadn't been watching this thread, but i clicked on it for some reason...hehe...to squirrelman, don't be surprised *where* you may run into Jim, because he is awesome....he seems well versed in pretty much everything....Maudib, John W, Jim and a few others from the "other" group have been on this one for ages....i do come here alot but don't have enough time to read all the threads....but i do cabinets...<G>... ------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004
On 12/19/2004 5:58 PM MUADIB wrote:

This bathroom has been a total trip. The previous owner had the walls papered in a desperately repulsive floral print. The light above the sink was about 10'' off-center. Why? There was carpeting on the floor. Who puts carpeting on a floor around a toilet that men pee into? In addition, the wallpaper had been hung upside-down. Before stripping the wallpaper, a large "floating" mirror needed to be removed first. After taping it packing tape to protect myself from shrapnel I pounded on it with a big rubber mallet. The thing broke loose in one piece. I caught it and lowered it to the floor. It had been affixed to the wall with blobs of construction adhesive, which pulled big divots out of the plaster. And there was a gaping hole in the wall, under the light fixture, where a medicine cabinet had once been. Now I had a medicine cabinet opening and a light fixture in the wall, 10'' off-center above the sink. The sink was mounted on a vanity with a tiled top, attached to tile on the wall. There is no moving this sink without busting up the tile. The plumbing under the sink showed that there would have originally been an older sink, directly under the cabinet and light fixture. So I've been tearing out studs and moving light fixtures and building a new cabinet in the wall. Pulling up the carpeting revealed vinyl flooring in a /lovely/ 70's "earth colors" pattern. The room's a mess right now, but it's going back together bit-by-bit.
--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

There's a reason for that. Hinging the way you want to do will limit the door swing to 90 degrees. It is not a good method...if someone inadvertantly opens the door too hard something is going to give.
The hinge knuckle should be in the same plane as the front of the door...that will allow 180 degree opening and no racking. One way to accomplish that is by using knife/pivot hinges inset into door top/bottom...only the small pivot would show.
http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_ViewCatLevel3.asp?Cat $&OrderID -- dadiOH ____________________________
dadiOH's dandies v3.05... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
On 12/12/2004 6:23 AM dadiOH wrote:

In my case, if the cabinet door opens much more than 90 degrees it will smack into a wall sconce. I'll put some kind of chain or string to stop the door before anything gets hammered.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

That will look peachy :)
-- dadiOH ____________________________
dadiOH's dandies v3.05... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
On 12/12/2004 11:23 AM dadiOH wrote:

Heh. Yeah, I'm thinking a big old chunk of chain with a piece of old green garden hose slipped over it.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

If it is not too late in the project you may try adding reinforcement to the MDF. Drill a hole into the MDF and insert a hardwood dowel. Then screw the hinges into the dowel. Just my $0.02
On 12/11/2004 6:15 PM John wrote:

Worth more than $0.02, I reckon. Good advice is priceless - especially when it is offered for free. Thank you.
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
"dust Proof Kitchen Cabinet Hinges" are similar to your drawing, However Screwing into the edge of MDF does not present a problem and give a good fixing if you drill a pilot hole first. Use a narrow gauge screw and make the pilot hole at least as deep as the screw. Use a screw that is 1 - 1 3/4" in length. John Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

On 12/11/2004 7:39 PM John wrote:

Can't find anything like a "dust proof kitchen cabinet hinge." Anyone got a link to this?
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

they'll do the job.
http://www.wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Cabinet%20Hinges/CatID/Cabinet%20Hinges%2C%20Amerock%20Decorative/SubCatID/Half%20Wrap%2C%20Self%20Closing%2C%20Overlay Regards John
On 12/12/2004 11:01 PM John wrote:

http://www.wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Cabinet%20Hinges/CatID/Cabinet%20Hinges%2C%20Amerock%20Decorative/SubCatID/Half%20Wrap%2C%20Self%20Closing%2C%20Overlay Ah, thanks. I looked at those at HD. The door wing is so long the screws would penetrate the mirror, and the frame wing is set up for 3/8'' overlay, and I've got 3/4'' overlay on my cabinet.