Is it worth upgrading to High Efficiency furnace?

Page 3 of 3

Childfree Scott wrote:

If the efficency are accurage a 95 percent would result in about 16 percent saving, so if your normal bill is $200, you would save $32 dollars per month for ?6 months? or about $200 per year. Pretty slow pay back. And then you have to figure the mainteance. Is the mainteance for 95 percent furnaces higher than for 80 percent furnaces?

And you would be correct. Most often, the blower may be set to run continuous at about 1/2 capacity allowing moe even comfort.

True, but if the ductwork is sized and installed properly - *TaDa* quiet.

See above ductwork reference and take unit location into account when building. I understood your reference to indicate that you were advising the higher efficiency to be likely louder than the OP's almost new std. eff. That's just not normally the case, IMHO. Oh, and turn on a bit of music, it'll cover up that fridge & computer. ;-)
- Robert
American Mechanical wrote:

Maybe you are thinking of furnaces out in the garage, but ours is in the center of the house it an enclosure, hate to call it a closet. No way is it quiet, or would be quiet regardless of type. Hell, I can hear the hum of the attic fan in certain parts of the house. Music helps but I grew learning to read and study when it was quiet so I'm likely to start listening to the music instead of paying attention to what I am reading. Nothing like reading 2-3 pages then suddenly realize you were listening to the music and have no idea what the word in book were.

I'm sorry - you are incorrect. If the ductwork is sized properly and installed well you would be amazed. I changed out a unit today, it was in a closet directly off the living room. When I started the unit up, the HO argued with me that it wasn't on. He is extremely pleased with his new variable speed. It sounds as if you need to determine why you have to wedge cans against parts of your system to stop the noise. I'm guessing there are install issues. Best of luck to you it's been fun but if you still insist that higher efficiency units are likely to be louder than standard efficiency units, we must agree to disagree.
- Robert
Music helps but I grew learning to read and

American Mechanical wrote:

Yeah I would be amazed, unless that closet is heavily sounded proofed. The tin can took care of the resonance noise. It had no effect and would be expected to have an effect on the burner noise or the blower noise. You are arguing against a point I didn't make; I said the higher efficency one would likely be more noise, not louder, more noisy referring to longer periods of noisy.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

No basement? Our furnace, hot water tank, whatever noise makers are in the basement.
Tony Hwang wrote:

No basement; wish I had one. All of the newer homes with crawl spaces have the furnace and hot water tank in the garage, but that practice wasn't common here when our house was built.
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:00:10 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

Say again?? It's going to be noisy for longer periods of time? Well how about if the new high efficiency unit produces significantly few decibels, ie is quieter, but runs longer does that mean it's noisier than the old unit that produces quantitatively more noise for a shorter period? I think you're stretching here.
--
Don't get stuck in a closet -- wear
yourself out.

Yes, I've given up in attempting to explain the very clear, very plain fact that about no matter HOW you slice this pie - the *quality* brand high efficient unit when installed *properly* will most likely produce *less* noise than a standard efficiency, worst case scenario would be the *same* noise level/noise duration.
Respectfully giving up on this thread,
- Robert
Steve Scott wrote:

How about a bigger house? Does that imply it is taller? Noise isn't one dimensional.
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:23:54 +0000, kevins_news wrote:

http://www.doityourself.com/estimate/furnacebtu.htm
HTH, Vicki
--
snipped-for-privacy@shoreham.net

Victoria Heisner wrote:

Don't need it, but the calculator gave an error and wouldn't work.
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:04:04 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:

Don't know, worked fine for me....
Vicki
--
snipped-for-privacy@shoreham.net