Is it pressure treated or cedar?

I have an old deck and we are planning on adding to it. I have had a four estimates and two think the existing structure is cedar and two think it is pressure treated spruce.
The new and old will be stained. Will it matter if the one is cedar and the other is pressure treated in terms of accepting the stain and thus matching?
-- Doug Mitchell (jmjm at sympatico dot ca)
Who do you have looking at it?! It is pretty tough to confuse cedar with pt. Cedar is much lighter in weight and softer. The grain is finer and less prominent. If you cut the wood,or sand it, cedar will be reddish; pt can be almost anything, but it won't be reddish. (Freshly cut cedar seems to have a "cedar" smell, but that could just be my imagination.)
Anyhow, what are you staining it? A solid will look the same on anything. Semi will probably look different. Last year I stained a deck that had pt deck and cedar posts. I urged them to go with solid, but they wanted to see some grain. It looked like crap.