Intermittent problem with furnace

My son has a Bryant furnace about 10 years old. Within the past 2 weeks started having an intermittent problem. The furnace doesn't always recycle on after being off. He's replaced both the thermostat (Honeywell) and now the igniter. Sometimes it comes back on like it is suppose to, other times (especially at night), it doesn't. When it doesn't come on, there is nothing -- no blower, no flame, nothing.
Any suggestions.
He recently had a new baby so money is tight.
Shirley
I just want to add one additional item. When the furnace does not come on when it should, just shutting the thermostat off and then turning it back on, will start the furnace. Thanks for any advice.
Shirley

Sounds like the thermostat aint set right or you got a wiring problem maybe a short or even a loose screw somewhere.
Hi PoCambo, hope you are having a nice day
On 24-Dec-04 At About 08:02:08, PoCambo wrote to All Subject: Re: Intermittent problem with furnace
P> From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (PoCambo)
P> > From: shir
P> > I just want to add one additional item. When the furnace does come P> not > on when it should, just shutting the thermostat off and turning P> then > it back on, will start the furnace. >Thanks for any P> advice.
P> Sounds like the thermostat aint set right or you got a wiring problem P> maybe a short or even a loose screw somewhere.
Actually what she is describing is called a hard lockout. this means there is a fault and it is locking out on a safety.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. "I was up all night trying to round off infinity..." - s.w.
Shirley, your second post would indicate a bad thermostat. There should only be two wires attached to the thermostat, if you remove them and touch them together, the burner should fire. When you pull them apart, the burner should stop(however the fan can continue to run). If this is what's happening its either the thermostat or a connection on the

Hi remove, hope you are having a nice day
On 24-Dec-04 At About 08:09:04, remove this wrote to All Subject: Re: Intermittent problem with furnace
rt> Shirley, your second post would indicate a bad thermostat. There rt> should only be two wires attached to the thermostat, if you remove rt> them and touch them together, the burner should fire. When you pull rt> them apart, the burner should stop(however the fan can continue rt> to run). If this is what's happening its either the thermostat rt> or a connection on the thermostat.
Check my other post about hard lockouts.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. "If you can't hear me it's because I'm in parentheses." - s.w.

You wanted any suggestions, though you probably won't like this one.
Anyone who would have kids without being able to afford heat, should be sterilized. Good grief mom, he isn't a kid any longer. Let him grow up without holding onto your apron strings.
Had he took the money he paid for a thermostat and the igniter, he could've put it towards a service call. First he has to learn how to be sensible b/4 he tries to work on a piece of equipment.
Ida Smacktem wrote:

And you should look into new brain cells, you narcisstic, flatulent, myopic bass turd.
Sounds like Troll Foood
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:14:30 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Hungry? Bubba
Boy, youj've drawn them out of the woodwork tonight, haven't you? I haven't seen so much ignorance on here in a long time.
Thermostat and igniter; good, but what specifically do you mean by the "igniter"?
Assuming it's not a mercury thermostat, does it "click" when you move it up and down? It should make a click sound at the point where the heat would turn on or off. It's usually a pretty quiet sound.
Beyond that, the possibilities range from the little ckt board the thermostat wires connect to, all the way to the electodes gap, oil filter, nozzle, and ice/water in the lines. You don't say where you are, but it could also be frozen fuel in the tank or a low tank with water/sludge in the bottom to a borderline 24V transformer, all reacting to the change in heat/cold. Those are the extremes of course, but I mention them to indicate that it's not really a job for someone not familiar with how a furnace works. Any firends or relatives with experience who could look at it? How about where you buy your fuel oil? Money's tight, I know, but if the house freezes, then there are a lot of other things can be damaged if you're in a cold clime, so try to get him to bite the bullet and call for help, then come over to your place to be warm for awhile until they get there.
Pop
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Is it in the basement with a condensation pump? FLoat might be stuck so pump triggers safety lockout. Clean the pump sump.

On the door of the furnace there may be some diagnostic instructions. Some have LED's which blink to explain the problem. COuld also be in the manual that came with the furnace.

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

is
Thanks to most who have tried to answer my question.
I should mention this is a gas furnace. Maybe I'm not using the right terminology -- with igniter. This furnace does not have a pilot light. It has electronic ignition that starts the furnace when needed.
I guess I don't quite understand some of the answers I received -- like where does he get his fuel? It's all natural gas. Merry Christmas.
Shirley

This is Turtle.
Shirley , There is times when thing become out of your control and your going to have to call someone in that knows about a problem that is hard to determine by the home owner. Now this time has arose right now. You have a Hard Lock out like HvacTech2 said , you need to add a isolation relay in the 24 volt circuit , or you have a air flow restriction problem. The first 2 will have to be done with a HVAC service company but the third one came be done by you. Check the air filter to see that it is clean and them check all the discharge register in each room to see that they are all open to let the air out. If you have a dirty filter or too many registers closed off. The furnace will hard lock out on longer runs at nite when it gets colder. Now i can go into the chgecking the temperature rise but I feel my words would be waisted unless you really knew something about the system to tell what it was.
So Check the filter and the discharge register in each room for being too many closed off and if ok. Bit the Bullet and call a hvac service company to come see about the hard lock out problem or needing a isolation relay put in there.
TURTLE
On 24 Dec 2004 20:23:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

There are several things that can cause a hard lockout. Here are a couple easy ones:
Change the air filter. If the furnace doesn't get enough airflow it can overheat and lockout.
On the opposite side of the burner from the ignitor is a flame sensor. This is a ceramic/steel rod. The flame hits the steel portion and this tells the control board that the burner is working. If it fails to "see" the flame after three attempts at ignition, it will lockout. Remove the flame sensor and clean the steel portion with steel wool.
If these don't do it, call someone.
Hmmmmm... why does everyone change the thermostat first? That's like replacing the switch if a light doesn't work. It's the least likely problem.
_______________
Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software Written by a veteran Service Technician
https://www.merchantamerica.com/tmethod /
Hi snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net, hope you are having a nice day
On 24-Dec-04 At About 01:01:07, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote to All Subject: Intermittent problem with furnace
s> From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
s> My son has a Bryant furnace about 10 years old. Within the past 2 s> weeks started having an intermittent problem. The furnace doesn't s> always recycle on after being off. He's replaced both the thermostat s> (Honeywell) and now the igniter. Sometimes it comes back on like s> it is suppose to, other times (especially at night), it doesn't. s> When it doesn't come on, there is nothing -- no blower, no flame, s> nothing.
s> Any suggestions.
s> He recently had a new baby so money is tight.
s> Shirley
Where is he located? I would be willing to take a look at it if he is in my area. e-mail me if you would like.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. Let me know if this message doesn't get through to you.