Insulation stapling question

I was at a friend's new home the other day looking around, and the insulation various parts of the house was stapled differently. If I remember correctly, it was face stapled in the basement, ie: the flaps were folded over the studs and then stapled. It was also face stapled in a couple rooms on the third floor, but the rest of the house was inset stapled, ie: the flaps were set back on the inside of the studs and stapled to the sides, leaving about an inch between the drywall and the facing of the insulation.

I looked around tonight at a few sites, and have found it suggested both ways. Fine Homebuilding's site says to inset it, but others say the face stapling is the ideal vapor barrier.

So is there a right way and a wrong way, or is it just the installers preference? And drawbacks for one over the other?

Thanks all.

Reply to
Peter Langevin

The only real wrong way is to have bird eyes where it is not flat.

You get a little better vapor barrier with the flaps over the studs and a little better insulation if they are against the sides (assuming the fiberglass does not fill the cavity

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

On 1/25/2005 10:52 PM US(ET), Peter Langevin took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

In my brief experience as a carpenter, the insulation was always stapled to the insides of the stud, as instructed by the GC that I worked for. The paper facing on the insulation was just used for stapling and was not considered as a vapor barrier since we always stapled up clear vinyl over all exterior walls, and on ceiling joists for cathedral ceilings or where there was an unfinished attic above.

Reply to
willshak