Insulation on IC recessed lighting

Is it OK to leave the paper vapor barrier of the fiberglass insulation touch the cans of the IC rates ceiling light fixtures? If not what do you do?
LJ
I've never seen instructions that mention "paper", only ones that say insulation can come in contact with housings or must be three inches away from housings

Check with the mfg'ers website. Personally, I fear fire more than a tiny heat loss.

Those cans have an overload that shuts the fixture off if they get too warm.
So it is probably okay.
But I wouldn't do it.
Also you are limited to a 75 watt max lamp it those.
Higher wattage lights tend to trip the overload.

That depends upon the age and manufacturer of the housing. Older models of IC housings allowed higher wattages. Each housing will have a label indicating the max wattages of various lamps allowed

The cans that I have are utilitech LWSIC32 from Lowes. They have a max rating of 75 watts with a par 30 LN bulb and do have an overload sensor on the top of the can. I have BR 30 LN 65 Watt bulbs in them which they say are also OK. It is the paper on the old insulation that I am worried about. It is about 20 years old and says on it, this paper will burn. I have had them on all morning for about 5 hours and they get only warm to the touch so far. I was thinking of just removing the paper from the insulation around the cans. What do you guys think of this idea. Of course the guy at lowes was no help.
LJ

I've seen insulation paper turn black from Non Ic recessed fixtures with 150 watt R-40 lamps, but if you are concerned, pull back the paper. It certainly won't hurt

imho:
Good question, I would contact the manufacturer with your concern. Only their instructions should be used.
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info