installing refrig/freezer door gaskets: how difficult?

Just how difficult would it be to do our own installing of refrig door-gaskets?
(refrig on top, freezer on bottom. Amana)
(and what is usual cost for paying someone to do it?)
Thanks,
David
Not a very difficult project. The biggest chore is dealing with the contents of the unit. A freezer door gasket should take about 20 minutes. No idea what an appliance man would charge.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

DanG wrote:

You'll need a hair-dryer, though.

Not difficult, I've done it. Checking a generic repair manual, like "The Reader's Digest Fix-it-Yourself Manual", or other books at your local public library, will give great tips. A wild guess: I think a repairman would charge $70 and up for labor.
I removed the door from the 'fridge first, using the hinges. Then put the door on the floor. Be very careful removing the old gaskets.
When installing the new gaskets, one tip is lay the door on a flat surface, like a table. It helps in keeping the door flat while trying to position the gaskets.. Also, don't totally tighten any screws until you have a final and tight fit with the door in place on the 'fridge. Adjust the door as necessary by twisting the door, then tighten. Good luck.
- Doug
Hi David,
First thing that comes to my mind is, why *both* seals? I rarely see them both fail at once...
Assuming it's an older refrig, and not one of the newer ones with 'foamed-in-place' (glued!) seals, this isn't a bad job. Hardest part's getting the doors 're-warped' correctly after the new seals are on.
Start with the freezer door - it's the easiest. Throw the new seal in your electric dryer on high heat for 5 minutes (no longer!), or soak it in a bathtub full of hot water, to help with the wrinkles, while you loosen the orig screws and peel the old seal. No need to remove the doors or unload your food; I've replaced door seals for 32 years, and never had to do either.
If you think it may take you a while - and your first one might - just use a few large magnets (I use old microwave magnetron magnets - duct tape might work too) to hold an old blanket or large piece of cardboard over the door opening while you work. That way you won't feel rushed.
The fresh food section's a little harder, bc it tends to 'warp' and twist more, being larger. But take your time, being sure the new seal's completely worked under the mounting strips - especially watch this in the corners.
If your refrig *is* one of the newer ones that don't mount the seals with screws, don't attemp it yourself - call a pro, and get an estimate first.
I usually replace a single seal for our service call/labor rate, currently $72.00, but rates can vary wildly depending on where you are.
The most important part of the whole job is the lubrication of the new seals. I'll bet yours twisted and tore on the hinge side, right? A small film of petroleum jelly will prevent this from ever happening again. Some manufacturers *used* to apply this at the factory, but I haven't seen them do that since the late 70's. They've been selling lots of seals since <grin>.
For more on that, see this little article, excerpted from my newsletter: http://www.DavesRepair.com/DIYhelp/DIYrefseallube.htm
Hope that's of some help.
Happy Thanksgiving, and God bless,
Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA www.DavesRepair.com snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com 570-363-2404