Installing Motion Sensor Floor Light

I have a tool shed at our cabin which has been broken into twice.

There is an alarm to scare off folks after they break in, and that has been successful, but I would like to add a motion sensor flood light, and also perhaps a fake security camera, in order to warn people off before they break up the door.

Problem: there is a tree overhead with branches which move in the wind. I have trimmed the tree up to about 12 feet.

Can I focus the range of the motion sensor so that the moving branches do not set it off?

Thank you very much in advance.

Dwight Gibb

Reply to
Dwight

With some models, yes. You need to check the specs re range and angle. I used one like this

was able to "aim" it so it only came on for motion in a small area.

Reply to
Reed

Hi, Some has gain adjustment.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

*You can aim the sensor according to your needs and some of the better models have a sensitivity adjustment. It is also possible to mount a motion sensor remotely from the lights being controlled.
Reply to
John Grabowski

X10 has wireless sensors and motion sensors that can be made to turn on multiple lights. Have wireless sensors low under branches or on the shed turning on how ever many lights you want. I use them, as an example one sensor in my garage turns on lights in garage, outside garage, on house and in house , all wirelessly. Set it up so a theif gets hit with alot of light from many areas. X10 wireless sensors are about half the size of a pack of cigarettes, so they are not seen easily.

Reply to
ransley

X10 has wireless sensors and motion sensors that can be made to turn on multiple lights. Have wireless sensors low under branches or on the shed turning on how ever many lights you want. I use them, as an example one sensor in my garage turns on lights in garage, outside garage, on house and in house , all wirelessly. Set it up so a theif gets hit with alot of light from many areas. X10 wireless sensors are about half the size of a pack of cigarettes, so they are not seen easily.

*You reminded me that Leviton has wireless motion sensors also.
Reply to
John Grabowski

How about a bear trap inside? :)

A poster mentioned X10. They make some pretty good stuff on the cheap. Well worth looking into. X10.com

Reply to
Thomas

X 10, Leviton, Smart Home, might be compatible, even 3 button car remotes and GMs can control X10, so you can turn on the coffee maker from your car if you want.

Reply to
ransley

X 10, Leviton, Smart Home, might be compatible, even 3 button car remotes and GMs can control X10, so you can turn on the coffee maker from your car if you want.

I've set the sensor for my detached shop to turn on 2 floodlights and to sound a 120 db warble siren. The system can be controlled from the house or shop.

Reply to
1D10T

Most of these sensors sense changes in heat, not real motion. Branches moving at night should not affect them significantly.

Reply to
Bob F

Many years ago when I regularly traveled to a rural part of South Carol Fair Warning to burglars. Man with shotgun sleeps in store three nights a week.

Reply to
William Munny

I put one together for a friend some years ago. I used a standard motion sensor flood light and hooked a 120 volt AC Edwards fire horn to it. The trees around it didn't seem to cause any problems. The motion detector was a PIR (Passive Infrared) that detects warm objects moving through it's field of view. It did scare off several undesirables, in fact, there was blood and torn clothing on the barbwire fence.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On my shop and house doors: By the time you read this you have been photographed and videotaped.

Best I've ever seen: Pero Malo - Bad Dog Muted Rottweiler

Reply to
1D10T

Tree limbs CAN set off infrared sensors. The limbs may have a different IR signature than other objects in the background, and motion can set off the sensors, depending on how sensitive it is.

If you can't aim the sensor away, you can use electricians tape in the color of your choice to blind portions of the sensor as needed.

Reply to
mike

You can mask parts of the lens with electrical tape. I don't think trees would cause much of a problem though. Also keep in mind that motion sensors are most sensitive to motion -across- their field of view. If you walk directly towards it, it will have a hard time detecting any change in heat, especially if it's in the summer.

Reply to
Bob M.

I believe that -passive- infrared detectors (most light switches are passive) are only triggered by objects emitting heat, such as a person's body. Active IR detectors emit IR light themselves and might be triggered by other moving objects.

But in your case, I don't think that the branches will trigger it. But maybe they might mask movements beneath them... Difficult to tell without seeing the situation, still there should be line of sight between the sensor and the person, so no leaves in between.

Reply to
LucKl