installing lighting in exposed beams

I live in an a frame with exposed beams built out of 3 2x12 ( not glu lams )

21 inch o.c. . I want to install additional lighting and using raceways cut into the bottom of the center 2x12 about 1/2" . I'd also would like to drill into the bottom to install smaller dia led lights. Obviously I'm worried about weakening the members, but also consider these beams to be overbuilt.
Reply to
Jeffrey