Installing Gas Oven

We'll be buying a new gas oven soon. The local appliance store wants a few hundred bucks to deliver and install. I have a truck big enough to haul it and neighbors to help get it in the house.

How difficult is it to install the new oven? Some neighbors say it's just a matter of shutting off a valve behind the oven, unhooking the coupling, and rehooking the new oven to the coupling, using adapters if necessary. I don't imagine the assembly of the oven and stovetop parts will be that difficult.

What say you folks?

-Scott

Reply to
SMcK

That's about it. Have some pipe dope on hand and buy a new flex hose. Plan your install during a time when your local hardware emporium is open because you may have a gotcha (e.g. when I hooked up a new dryer for my old landlady, I found that the new dryer used a smaller diameter flex hose than the old one, so I had to run to the store for a new fitting.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

An empty spray bottle, a teaspoon of liquid dish soap, enough water to fill the bottle and paper towels to wipe up the residue.

Liberally spay every exposed leak and watch for bubbles to check for gas leaks before you call it a day.

The tiny bubbles from the soap are not what you are watching for. If you have a leak the bubble will expand.

Reply to
Colbyt

Its easy to do unless the gas valve is bad, use new flex. 200$ is alot for that. These days you should be able to get it for near free on a new stove. I have an apliance guy that sells me top quality used stuff installed for 150$, and the stoves compare to 6-800$ new stuff. The quality on cheap stoves for rentals is junk these days.

Reply to
ransley

I installed an over-the-stove microwave. The most time-consuming job was correcting what the original installers botched up. The edge of the walls were open which caused some exhaust (along with grease) to enter between the walls. And these people were licensed construction workers. It should be fairly easy to install a built-in oven, just be prepared for other things and have a helper nearby.

Reply to
Phisherman

Trivial. The hardest part is wrestling the behemoth. It IS easier than installing a refrigerator.

If you can install a toaster or waffle iron - and have enough muscles - you can install a gas stove.

Someone mentioned pipe-dope. An alternative is the yellow Teflon tape. Your neighbors are correct on the installation, but for your peace of mind a NEW flexible connection hose is usually appropriate.

Reply to
HeyBub

IIRC, some codes require a new flex hose for new appliances. They can go bad over time and leak.

My local appliance dealer delivered at no additional charge (he is 1/2 mile away) and my propane dealer came out one day to disconnect the old line, came back the next and hook up and tested the new range for $60. Many years ago some gas companied offered such services free or cheap but I have no idea what they do now.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'd take on such a project, but then, I've got a background of working with natural gas and propane. Like the others suggested. Take on the job daytime while the stores are open. Always some stupid part you end up needing. Pipe dope is a good idea, leak check, and so on. The flex hose is ten bucks or so, worth every penny to replace it. Now's your chance to scrub and polish the floor under the oven, which seldom if ever gets scrubbed and polished.

Ask the guys at the store for advice. Overall, the job isn't really killer dificult.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon