Installing A Stove

I'm replacing a 30-year old electric Frigidaire drop-in stove with a new Kenwood electric drop-in. The old stove has a 220v electrical input consisting of a black wire, a black wire with a red stripe, a grey wire and a ground wire. I believe the man at the Sears store said that new stoves have two wires, plus a ground wire. What's the proper way to hook up the wiring?
Thanks! Scott

Your old stove was connected to two hot legs, which were the black and black with red tracer, a neutral which was the gray, and a ground, which was green or bare. The new stove does not use a neutral, so cap that wire and just use the two hot legs and the ground. Typically a stove does use both neutral and ground, but often cooktops (unit with no oven) do not
RBM wrote:

RBM,
As it turned out, the new stove came with a black wire, a red wire, a neutral wire, and a green wire (the ground). So we matched it up with the original setup, and it works great!
Scott
Scott,
Are you sure that the new stove is 220v? You don't say in your post I'd read the installation manual carefully since the sales guy lead you to believe that there is no neutral wire. I can imagine that the neutral and ground are connected by a buss link but I can't imagine a stove without a neutral in the US. In the old days stoves used a neutral and 2 hot wires. with the ground attached to the neutral.
Dave M.
David L. Martel wrote:

I have seen plenty of stove and other 240V wiring without a neutral. 2 hots and ground with the ground wire connected and used as a neutral. One house I lived in built in the mid '50's had just that. The ground wire being a few haphazard strands of bare wire in the cable and connected to the ground bus in the panel.
New 240V wiring is required to be 4 wire. I think most stoves can be configured to use 3 wire if needed to accommodate the older wiring. Kevin

That's pretty much true of all ranges in the U.S., old and new. I think the issue here, is that the OP indicates that the new unit only has 3 wires. He calls it a "stove" which is a generic term,usually referring to a range, but from his description, I think he is getting a cooktop, which may or may not use a neutral, depending upon make and model
RBM wrote:

RBM,
I should have clarified. It's an electric drop-in range with standard electric burners, with the oven below. It's interesting to note that the original 1974 wiring to this range uses heftyof a lighter grade, I suppose to keep the cost down.
Scott

In the U.S. , ranges will all be internally wired so they can be connected to either a 3 or 4 wire feeder, so you can use whatever you have existing, however all new range feeder installations must be four wire
Kevin Ricks wrote:

Kevin,
This 1970's range has two hot wires, a neutral, and a heavy duty copper ground wire....the same as the new range, but heavier duty wire.
Scott

Kenwood
a black

believe the

wire.
If Sears wants to close the sale, it is reasonable for you to expect unambiguous instructions in writing how to connect it. "What the man said" is not good enough. If you have more questions, ask Sears until you are satisfied with the answers.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Don Phillipson wrote:

Don,
The problem is that Sears doesn't install the appliances, so I don't expect them to have the answers about installation. The instructions that came with the range, however, are very detailed.
Scott

Didn't the stove come with a book to tell you the wiring requirements? I think if there is a timer and a light or other accessories , you need 2 hots, a neutral and a ground. Tony
Anthony Diodati wrote:

Tony,
I don't know. They willb e delivering the stove in an hour.
Scott