Inserts.

I have some standard electrical outlets where the cover plate stands proud of the wall by 1/8"-1/4". The easiest way to correct this would be by use of an insert between the wall and the cover plate.

Does anyone know if these inserts are available and where?

Many thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
PVR

You can get larger cover plates to compensate for that

Reply to
RBM

My cover plates stand away from the wall by about 1/8" to 1/4". I guess I don't see how a larger plate would solve the problem. Perhaps I am missing something?

Peter.

Reply to
PVR

At the moment all I can think of is getting wooden covers.........carving out the backside of it until its flush with the wall.............what ya think? :-)

Reply to
avid_hiker

Would something like this work even?

avid_hiker

I seem to recall that Mulberry makes some deeper wall plates for situations where the electrical box is protruding past the wall a little. Their web site doesn't show them though. Go to an electrical supply company and ask to see their wall plate catalog. Most likely they won't be a stock item.

Are your electrical boxes protruding out past the wall to cause this or are your outlets just loose. If the outlets are loose, tightening them will help the problem.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Any reason you can't make your own from a bit of wood and a saw?

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes, wood is a combustible material. Although it is used as wall plate material, it cannot be used as an extension box.

Reply to
John Grabowski

This use isn't a box extension, though. THe problem is that the box sticks too far out, not insufficiently far out. So it's just a case of a wooden faceplate with an integrel return to make it reach the wall surface AROUND the box.

Fixing the box is still a better idea, though.

Reply to
Goedjn

No practical reason. I just don't want to do that. I would prefer to buy them so saving time for other constructions.

Peter.

Reply to
PVR

I would just get some foam rubber insulating things that are maant to go behind the wall plate to keep the cold air in the wall from getting into the room.

I have a lightswitch, Decora style I think it is, with the big wide rocker, at the head of my bed where I WANT the plate to stick out an extra 1/8", so that when I put a pillow against the switch, I won't turn it on or off. With just one of these insulating things, the plate is far enough out that the switch toggle is protected.

They come precut for outlets. Or you could make them.

Reply to
mm

Peter - did you ever get a solution to this? We're having the same issue and I can swear I've seen some box-like outlet covers before (if nothing else). We're pushing it to get the room done, let alone make custom outlet covers :)

Reply to
Aimzer