Inserts.

I have some standard electrical outlets where the cover plate stands proud of the wall by 1/8"-1/4". The easiest way to correct this would be by use of an insert between the wall and the cover plate.
Does anyone know if these inserts are available and where?
Many thanks,
Peter.
You can get larger cover plates to compensate for that

My cover plates stand away from the wall by about 1/8" to 1/4". I guess I don't see how a larger plate would solve the problem. Perhaps I am missing something?
Peter.

proud
use
At the moment all I can think of is getting wooden covers.........carving out the backside of it until its flush with the wall.............what ya think? :-)
Would something like this work even? http://www.wallplatewarehouse.com/9pp101.html
PVR wrote:

Any reason you can't make your own from a bit of wood and a saw?

Yes, wood is a combustible material. Although it is used as wall plate material, it cannot be used as an extension box.
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:58:20 -0400, "John Grabowski"

This use isn't a box extension, though. THe problem is that the box sticks too far out, not insufficiently far out. So it's just a case of a wooden faceplate with an integrel return to make it reach the wall surface AROUND the box.
Fixing the box is still a better idea, though.
No practical reason. I just don't want to do that. I would prefer to buy them so saving time for other constructions.
Peter.

Peter - did you ever get a solution to this? We're having the same issue and I can swear I've seen some box-like outlet covers before (if nothing else). We're pushing it to get the room done, let alone make custom outlet covers :)
--
Aimzer

I would just get some foam rubber insulating things that are maant to go behind the wall plate to keep the cold air in the wall from getting into the room.
I have a lightswitch, Decora style I think it is, with the big wide rocker, at the head of my bed where I WANT the plate to stick out an extra 1/8", so that when I put a pillow against the switch, I won't turn it on or off. With just one of these insulating things, the plate is far enough out that the switch toggle is protected.
They come precut for outlets. Or you could make them.