Inexpensive Fluorescent Lights

Many years ago I installed a row of inexpensive F40T12 double tube fixtures in my garage. They are starting to go, finally. But, the tubes seem to be going individually. After swapping tubes around, it seems that each tube is individually ballasted (sp?).
I opened the center cover of one of the fixtures today and there is no "ballast" per se. Each black hot wire (there are 2) has a little plastic rectangular box (1"x3/4"x1.75") on it. Is that it or are there more ballast parts on the ends. Are these repairable with normal parts?
Thanks, Lar

I ran into the same or similar fixtures a few years ago. In order to replace the existing ballast with a standard type, you need to be able to get to the wires attached to the sockets. As I recall, the ends of the fixtures were sealed and inaccessible

On 10/23/2010 12:33 AM, Larry B wrote:

Just a note. HD has been selling Energy Star rated t8's for $20 (4' 2 tube). I assume that is an electronic ballast.
Might be worth upgrading, should consume about 20% or so less electricity and the cost of fixing the old may be close enough to make it worth the upgrade.
Jeff

The fix is easy as long as you know how to rewire a new ballast, which is easy, IMO. The downside is the ballast and new T8 bulbs will cost more than buying the whole fixture. As Jeff pointed out, just buy a new fixture.
Yeah, I took one apart today and it has a bunch of misc parts. Looks like the start caps are going bad. Time to start over.
Thanks to all.

Sadly, it may very well be cheaper to replace the entire fixture.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus