IKO Roofing Shingles

Anyone have experience with these shingles?

The second estimator for my new roof recommended this brand. He claimed that Owens and GAF have had major warranty-related expenses, both having filing bankrupcy to avoid payouts (mainly due to asbestos issues) and screwing the homeowner. He claims IKO never did this, but in googling around the discussion groups, a lot of people don't think much of IKO.

The estimator's recommendation was for the IKO Cambridge AR line. (AR means algae-resistant.)

Reply to
Rebel1

Back when I did a lot of roofing, used IKO 3 tab one time. I drive by the house almost daily, the roof still looks good being around 15 yrs old. IKO wasn't a major player around here, and was a hard shingle to sell, mostly because people never heard of them. Also, the 3 tab they sold, was a metric. But, now seem like all manufacturers went to metric on their architectural coverings.

Reply to
Gomba

My last IKO 25 year roof lasted 17 years. It wasn't leaking yet, but the eaves trough was constantly filling with roof gravel off the shingles so I figured it was time. I built my shed in '96 and used the same shingles. I'm going to have to get up on that sucker one of these days and replace it too.

Reply to
clare

I have them on 2 sheds and a 2-car garage that I reroofed. The house ha soem ohter brand because the pro who did that had a problem with IKO on a prior job. His 'stooorrreeeyy' sounded suspiciously like he himself screwed it up though.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Both did file bankruptcy many years ago. The litigation about asbestos was overwhelming. It was a bad time for anyone in an asbestos related business. I don't see how it has affected anyone buying their product in the past couple of decades though. IKO is a Canadian company and I have no idea if they made asbestos products or not, but they are not subject to US bankruptcy laws.

Personally, I'd not trust the estimator. I don't like (or trust) a salesman that uses negativity of the competitors product rather than the features and benefits of his own. My guess is he makes more money if you buy IKO so that is why he is pushing it. I have no experience with them myself.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My SUSPISCION - and that's all it is at this time, is if you buy the TOP line from any manufacturer you will get a decent (if not fantastic) product that will last close to the warranted lifespan, but if you get the low end from any manufacturer you are in trouble. I KNOW the current (and last 10 years) crop of roofing materials is inferior in MANY ways to what was available 30 or more years ago. Environmental concerns have dictated that to a large degree, but we cannot rule out the influences of the stack market and "engineering by accountant syndrome" either. When a company, or industry, cuts corners you can bet it WILL come back and bite them in the rear, sooner or later. Considering the cost of the materials on a re-roof job is becoming a smaller and smaller portion of the total cost, the difference between a cheap shingle and a top line shingle is becomming a smaller and smaller percent of the total job every day.

The roofers around here are even starting to quote a full under-shingle roof covering - building felt or the newer stuff, and lots of ice and gutter guard - as part of their "standard" roofing package again, after a few years of having to BEG them to take your money to apply even the "required" roofing felt. Perhaps the competition has cooled off a bit so they are not competing exclusively on price any more.

Reply to
clare

So far, I've had two estimates. The first was from a company known to be on the pricy side: $11,940 for Owens or GAF. (about 3400 sq feet, plus

60' of ridge vent) The estimator pushing IKO wants only $9280.
Reply to
Rebel1

Depending on where you live, you may be able to get a large reduction in you home owners insurance by using Class 4 Impact Resistance singles. If you get much hail in your area, you need to check with your insurance agent. The pay back for my home is less than 3 years for the upgrade from laminated shingles.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

Not likely to be $2600 difference in the price of the shingles, apples to apples, so start looking for other cuts.

Reply to
clare

While saving $2600+ is nice, I'd check out some work by both contractors. Sometimes it is worth paying more for a better job, but everything being equal, you can save quite a bit with the IKO guy.

In my non-professional opinion, there will be little difference in the outcome based on shingle brand. These guys have to be competitive on both price and quality and they buy each other's product often do to testing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I am an estimator for a roofing company and I would not touch IKO. The shin= gles are crap and the warranty is a joke. They do not replce them unless th= ere is a leak. They can curl and look like hell but are not warranted. Gaf = is an excellent product and they look after their customers.Iko used to be = really good.

Reply to
rayschutt7

Thanks for the thoughtful suggestion. Here in central N.J., we rarely have hail, and when we do, the stones are about pea size.

Reply to
Rebel1