ideas to cover an ugly beam?

I have a 4"x10"x14' ugly-as-heck beam in a room that I recently remodeled. It is a knotty doug fir beam that has been stained dark green. This is the ridge beam in a loft bedroom.
Any ideas on how to cover this up without spending a fortune? The rest of the room is drywall and painted white, whith fir trim around the windows.

Drywall
I have a similar situation in my family room and it was covered with drywall and painted the same as the ceiling. Blends in and does not look all that bad.
idea #1: Drywall over it with some 3/8" drywall. - it'll require taping of four corners, which can be a pain.
idea #2: Buy some clear pine planks and cover with those, prime and paint.
idea #3: buy some panelling or bead-board and cover with that.
idea #4: paint over it, though I'm not sure what was used as a stain so paint may not work.
says...

Try #4 first, prime first. Paint color of the ceiling.
If you don't like the effect - go for #2. (although I'm not sure what ismeant by "clear pine planks".
I actually had beams installed in my cathedral-ceiling'd addition. Now they're covered with unfinished pine planks. I get compliments on it, although that suprises me - to me they're just waiting there unfinished and awaiting the new windows and trim, after which I will stain the trim and and the beams.
Banty

Why not just prime it and paint?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'd go with painting and maybe try a faux finish wood grain to match the fir trim. There's some labor, but the materials are cheap.
http://www.diynet.com/diy/la_walls_floors/article/0,2041,DIY_13992_2269131,00.html

Had the same situation. Had it drywalled, bull nosed and textured. Made me wonder why I ever looked at that nearly black beam up there for twenty years.
Slick, quick, and inexpensive.
Steve