ideas on making a flexible sound proof cover for sump pit

My sump pump stick about 3 inches over my sump pit. I would like to cover it with some heavy material so it muffles the sound and provides somewhat of a seal. The only thing I can think of is to cut up a piece of tarp and glue some of that egg shell foam sound proofing material on top. It doesn't need to be pretty. Any other ideas that might be more effective?

Reply to
Joe

Is it a pedistal pump, submerged are alot quieter.

Reply to
ransley

I would use 2 inch rigid fiberglass panels 6lb/cu ft (Manville) to construct a 5 sided box, then put that whole box over the top. The Manville heavy fiberglass panels stop sound dead in its tracks, I've used it to construct sound studios, isolation booths, and micing boxes for guitar amps etc. Its easy to cut out the pipe holes and ou can use duct tape to make the sides hingeable for removal, fireproof. Its this stuff, available at a professional lumber yard that supplies to commercial builders.

Any of the products listed as "Boards:" on this page:

RickH

How about just draping some fiberglass batts over it, the type used for insulating walls and ceilings.

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Bennett Price

They don't really absorb much sound, but you can buy some bats that do a little better.

In general you want to block air exchange. Air caries sound very well. (Try opening your car's window as a train is going by.)

Next you want weight. Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block sound well.

You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially worked) you want to break the wire).

Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials (acoustical fiberglass bats) will do a little.

Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the sound will also help.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

genews:Q84mj.378$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net...

Thats right about mass still being the best to actually stop sound. I suggested the 6lb/cu ft fiberglass because I couldn't figure out how to surround the pump head with mass, unless of course you build a closet around it all. The OP should be aware that the 6lb rigid fiberglass is not your ordinary fiberglass, its pretty dense and can be used much like plywood. In fact he may want to just build a plywood box then line it with the fiberglass, and put a foam weatherstrip gasket on the bottom edge where it meets the floor. I'm big on noise elimination in my home too.

Reply to
RickH