I want to switch from propane heat to a heat pump, any concerns?

Page 2 of 2

thats all good advice... however the OP said that the natural gas is priced on par with the electric in his arrea...whatever that means.... therm per dollar maybe.
if thats the case, with a heat pump you get 2x or more therms per killowatt compared to electric resistance heat.. its a leveraged deal.. the heat pump is almost always more efficent than propane, not always cheaper than natural gas in the pipeline though...but usually it is by a little at least.
My personal prime consideration since ive been in that side of the business so long is how long do these systems last and what do repairs cost.... its not at all uncommon to be billed several thousand dollars for a repair.. my estimate, a heat pump owner can expect one of those at 7 to 10 years and a few 300 dollar repairs in the meantime.... then total replacement at 10 years... 20 would be a miracle system...and that occurs but not often. 10 its usually toast.
***
I advise people to buy multile small seer 14 systems, air to air heat pumps or electric cool/ gas heat ... zone the house so you only run one at time...and use programmable stats... insulate well, use matress warmers. that will be cheap to intall and cheap enough to operate.
For much larger systems the various flavors of geo thermal or cooling tower/ heat sink applications are a very good deal especially when one side of the building is in heat mode and the sunny south side is in cool mode... networked water source heat pumps are a small miracle in those cases.
If you oversize them to reduce compressor and fan run times they will even last a while.
Phil scott
Add pictures here
✖
phil scott:

Taking into account the efficiency of the propane furnace I estimated that propane and straight electric heat break in heat produced (therms I guess) at around $2.50/G for propane. It was a couple of years ago that I calculated this, may have changed slightly. My only point of calculating was to see if using space heaters would save money.
I get the tank topped off in the summer when its cheap but the winter refills kick my butt as the price often doubles in the winter.
Add pictures here
✖

electric space heaters have serveral serious advantages... spot heat in an otherwise cold room... and zonable to just the rooms you are using.
If I were on propane Id consider that option.
You can check the efficiency of various types of electric portables. I think the ones that look like a steam radiator but filled with oil might be a lot more efficient that the cheapo' red hot coil of wire types...but you'd have to check.
Phil scott
Add pictures here
✖

I lived in Durham for 8 years and had a heat pump. It was great until the once a year one to two weeks of snow and ice. The further south and the further east you live, the better the performance. For that reason, heat pumps are not the way to go in the land of the damnyankee snow.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 1, 7:51 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

thats true in spaes for air source heat pumps... if yoou dig deep for ground water though, water source works in cold weather..but it has issues, closed loop allows the addition of anti freeze... there are contamination issues with that though...I use propelene glycol, non toxic... ethelene glycol is poisonoous however, if someone s that later and it leaks to the ground water you could ruin a good sized aquafer... damages could be into the millions.
Phil scott
Add pictures here
✖
Dick Adams:

When I lived in Wilson we had a heat pump and never had a problem with it. It kept the house temperature comfortable. Although you didn't get the sudden warm up when you turned the thermostat up - temperature change was more gradual.
Add pictures here
✖