Minor door repair advise needed..

The door leading into the garage was slightly damaged yesterday when the moves bumped a furniture against the edge of the door.. The damage is about 2 inches in length. If I hire a handyman to fix this, what needs to be done to restore the door?

I got some pictures of the damage here:

Thanks

Reply to
dchou4u

You can use Plastic Wood or Bondo to patch the divots, sand the patch flush, then just touch-up paint it. It's no big deal, but a handyman might charge you twenty to fifty bucks depending on where you are. I think this is a perfect opportunity for you to save yourself some money and learn how to make a simple repair.

RicodJour

on 8/31/2008 12:00 PM snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com said the following:

Paint.

Reply to
willshak

This damage does not affect the strength or operation of the door. You could use a little Bondo, sand and paint. The biggest job might be painting the door. Hiring a handyman to do this may cost more than the cost of a new door.

Reply to
Phisherman

I do this type of repair all the time. * Apply wood filler. Make sure it extends higher than the original surface of the wood. I like Elmer's brand, because it's easy to work and readily available. * Let it dry overnight, or as long as the instructions say. * Use fine sandpaper to sand the filler down to the original surface level. Put in some grooves to match the existing fake wood grain if you feel artsy-fartsy. :) * Clean off all the dust. * Paint it. You'll obviously get the best result if you paint the whole door, but you can do a pretty good job if you thin out the paint some and feather the edges. * Put on another coat of paint if you can still see the filler through the first coat.

This would only take me half an hour or so, but I would have to make two trips to your house, so I would charge you for two hours ($80 total). I would, however, offer to fix other stuff to fill out the two hours.

Reply to
SteveBell

Steve is 100% correct!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Too bad you aren't up here in SW Michigan. At those rates, I have a whole list of piddly repairs that I'll never get around to, that you could take care of for me.

-- aem sends, not entirely joking....

Reply to
aemeijers

Where are you in Michigan? I lived in Holland for four years, and I had a ball performing every year at the Tulip Time Festival.

Reply to
SteveBell

An hour or so SE, in Surreal City, Battle Creek.

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

I drove through there once on the way east, but we didn't have time to look around. I hear it's a nice place.

Being from Texas/New Mexico, the Winters in Holland were fun. Growing up, I never saw more than six inches of snow at one time. Since Holland is downwind of Lake Michigan, it gets lake effect snow, and they average seven feet a year. One winter I had to plow my driveway every night for two weeks. A shopping center plowed up a snowpile bigger than my house, and it didn't melt until the end of July.

Thanks for the memories.

Reply to
SteveBell

If they were hired to move furniture and did damage they shood be lyable for damage. Jerry

Jerry - OHIO