I don't understand why my phone system does what it does.

Page 2 of 4

As long as the utility can demonstrate a reasonable level of ongoing maintenance to their infrastructure and timely response to trouble reports, they are probably not penalized for the occasional grid failure over which they have no control. Regardless, this is a service industry just like all the others: The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Given what we pay for such services, the consumer should not tolerate poor service. It's pretty surprising those that do, however.
Real example: Prior to replacing the grandfathered protector assembly with a new SNI, and upon initial inspection discovering that there were APPARENTLY two working services (main & fax/computer line), I asked the customer if she had TWO lines. Her reply: Yes, but they have never been able to USE the second line!
Somewhat surprised, I asked how long they had had the service. About six months, she said. "Did you ever report the trouble?" I queried. "I've never gotten around to it" was her reply.
It was all I could do to restrain my sarcasm with my follow-up: "Oh, THANK-YOU, ma'am! I wish EVERYONE would pay for out service but not insist on using it. It would make my job MUCH easier!"
--
:)
JR

The next time an outage occurs, poll your neighbors and ask the NAME of their voice provider. I predict that those WITHOUT service are with the SAME provider while those WITH service use the services from another provider/network.
--
:)
JR

Thanks - I will do that - next outage.
Thanks
Jethro
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 16:07:23 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

You know - I haven't tried that. I will in a bit.
Thanks
jethro
Jethro,
Well, your cordless phones have a "base station" that is probably plugged into your home electricity, so no electricity, no base station, no cordless phone. Do all of your corded phones plug into your house electrical system?
Dave M.
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 19:17:13 -0400, "David Martel"

As I tried to say - no. Two phones are 'corded'. That is - they plug directly into bedroom wall outlets (phone outlets). So I figure they do not depend on 'house electricity' at all.
Thanks
Jethro

Those are known as "line powered" sets.
It still amazes me when I encounter a household with NO line-powered (corded) telephones. I inform them that it is prudent to have at least ONE such phone on hand in the event of a power failure.
More and more folks are depending solely on cordless telephony and wireless (cell) phones. I am still unconvinced that the "cell" phone network(s) is AS reliable as the public switched (wired) network, much less MORE reliable, particularly in the aftermath of a genuine disaster.
As wireless telephony continues to proliferate, is capacity is increased. However, a disaster is hopefully confined to a small(er) area. In such an event, the few "cell" sites serving that area would likely be overwhelmed. Remember: Such service is wireless ONLY until it reaches the nearest tower, where it rides on land lines and the public switched network.
--
:)
JR

JR Writes:
- It still amazes me when I encounter a household with NO line-powered (corded) telephones.
While I understand your amazment, have you tempered that with the extra cost for those of us who subscribe to the "all-in-one" services of a cable company?
I don't believe that I can have a line-powered phone unless I re- subscribe with my telco and get a separate number. Since my modem is dependent on power, I loose all of my phones, corded or not, during a power outage. I would need to pay the full cost of a residential phone service for the rare occasions when the power goes out.
I'm already paying for the cable company's phone service and a couple of cell phones (which can be charged up/powered by my car or portable jumpstart unit) so I'm not sure that paying for a line-powered backup system makes economic sense.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Considering the low power consumption of your cable phone router, a $75 (if that) UPS would keep it running for at least as long as the cable companies backup power for their line gear. I have a fairly large UPS (1420VA) that happily powers my cable modem, router, network switch and web/mail/vru/storage server for over an hour and a half. I also have two generators that I can bring online if needed.

- Considering the low power consumption of your cable phone router, a $75 - (if that) UPS would keep it running for at least as long as the cable - companies backup power for their line gear.
Very true, but what does that have to do with JR's amazement when he encounters "a household with NO line-powered (corded) telephones"?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's a solution for your cable based phones and others cordless phones.
willshak wrote:

The cable companies do have backup power. The line power supplies have battery backup and for extended outages they will bring out a small Honda generator and chain it at the base of the pole. I've never lost my cable feed here during a power failure.
on 8/26/2007 9:48 PM Pete C. said the following:

Sorry, my experience is different. During Hurricane Floyd in Sept. 1999, we lost power for 72 hours. I hooked up my 5500 watt generator and everything in the house worked... except the cable TV (TWC). During the last two days, we were watching movies on VHS and DVD. The cable substation is about 10 miles from me. The cable TV, nor the cable broadband, did not come back on until the electric power came back on. We did not have VoIP, but the telephone worked. It is one reason why I don't want VoIP.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

My longest power outage was about 39 hours, caused by an ice storm. When the batteries on the cable system ran down I lost my cable. I gave them a call and they brought a generator out for the cable plant. I did have to call them a couple of times when it ran out of gas. When they started offering phone service, they installed automatic NG generators to prevent outages. BTW, I am on Cox cable.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

There it is: Protacted land line/voice outages should be increasingly rare.
--
:)
JR

willshak wrote:

Having worked for a cable company some years ago, I know what we had on our plant. Other operators may not be as good, also there is always the potential that an event like a hurricane or a vehicle crashing into a pole could no only take out power, but damage the cable lines themselves. Nothing is ever 100%.
my experience is different. During Hurricane Floyd in Sept. 1999,

I guess your voice service is provided via copper pair.
--
:)
JR

<snip>

In the past, I have had to call them to come out and put more gas in the generator. :) Now they have automatic NG generators permanently installed.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Jim Rusling wrote:

Yep, backup systems are evolving, as is remote monitoring. When I worked at a cable company the only way we knew about an outage was from customer reports (or police / fire for accident caused outages). Around the time I left they were doing a rebuild / upgrade which among other improvements brought remote monitoring of all the line gear. It still wouldn't tell you if a tree took out an individual customer's drop, but any line gear failures or damage would give alarms. Of course if you're in tornado alley, your service will still be out a good while if a tornado rips up half a mile of poles.

When we had a major grass fire a year and a half ago, it damaged some of the cable from the heat and dropped about 5 poles. The cable and power went out about 4:00 PM. The electric company had the poles and the electricity back up about 9:00 PM. Cox, the cable company, had service restored about 9:30 PM. We did have an outage the next day for a couple of hours when they were replacing additional cable and electronics that could have been damaged from the heat. Those cable line guys were moving right behind the electric company people stringing new cable. I was really surprised just how quickly both companies were able to respond.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired