Hydrant Flushing a Plumbing Problems

The town (in Massachusetts) recently flushed the hydrants in my neighborhood . Now, the cold water in the washing machien runs too slowly (there's no filter that I can find), the water to one of the toilets never stops flowing, the aerators on some of the sinks need to be cleaned out etc. Is there any way to prevent this in the future? Any way to clean the valve on the toilet without replacing it? etc.? Is the town responsible for the repairs? To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.

Reply to
George

Put in a filter on the line for all inside plumbing, a cheap sediment filter will do, no the city is not responsible, but in a small town they might help.

Reply to
ransley

Put in a filter on the line for all inside plumbing, a cheap sediment filter will do, no the city is not responsible, but in a small town they might help.

Reply to
Don & Lucille

On Oct 18, 12:11=EF=BF=BDpm, "Don & Lucille" wrote= :

washer filter in inlet hose likely right at valve

dont use water during hydrant flushing

replace toilet flush valve if its a current plastic one.

the old brass ones can be disassembled and cleaned, replace washers at that time

Reply to
hallerb

Not for the outside hoses, I use a carbon filter for in house water, not garden hoses, it lasts 1 year, a sediment filter 3-6 diameter for

20$ might last 5-10 years, you are only filtering rocks and sand and fish.
Reply to
ransley

te:

.

it depends on how dirty the incoming water is. with a brand new flushing program the most sediment will be freed the very first time. after that it will be far less.

if you know the schedule turn your main water valve off that day

Reply to
hallerb

Wahsing Machine:

Remove the fill hose at the water valve at the back of your washing machine. You'll see screens inside the valve. Pull them out with a small pick and rinse off the crud.

Toilet:

Replace the fill valve with a Fluidmaster 400--about $7 at Home Depot. In the future, the only service they need is a seal replacment that's located right at the top of the valve. Cost $1.49.

Reply to
Rick-Meister

MAYBE OBAMMY CAN GIVE HIM SOME MONEY TO DO THAT WITH.

Reply to
GoBama

I have rinsed the crud from the screens and the problem has not improved much. Is there a way that I can clean out the mixing valve without having to take apart the machine. (I'll take apart the machine if nec., but I'd rather not do that right away.) To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.

Reply to
George

A few years ago, I had a similar problem. What happened in this case was a surge of high pressure hit the water line. I don't know what caused it except they were flushing out hydrants on each side of our lot.

In our case, it blew screen in the water softener tank and the resin went into the plumbing. The city sent a plumber out to clean water taps, etc, and they paid a water softener repair company to repair the water softener.

So, if you have a water softener, this may be a source of the problem.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

You expect intelligence from a talking horse?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I thought his name was Oh Bomb Us?

Reply to