hvlp - use for house painting?

I'm wondering if those high volume low pressure paint equipment can be used for house painting.
I realize the tank only hold a pint, but the work would be a lot easier, and there is less overspray so the pint would go a lot farther.
So, would the equipment handle alkyd, acrylic and latex?
--
nocaff

nocaff wrote:

Anything is possible, however unless you are using professional equipment (they are not limited to quarts) you are going to be working a very long time to do your home.
There is a good reason most professional painters use rollers and brushes.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:39:59 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

I just finished painting my 2 car garage with an HVLP gun from Harbor Freight Item 07902 As long as you use "Floetrol" to thin the paint, you won't have any problems. I sprayed exterior Latex.
I just did it, so nobody can tell me otherwise.
Lg
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 06:21:23 -0500, Lawrence Glickman

Yeah, I agree. Meehan is an idiot who is always telling people to hire a pro. geez.
Sherman wrote:

Funny, I said nothing that indicated the OP should hire a pro. In fact I would guess the OP should not.
However I did recommend that the equipment he was asking about was not likely the best tool for the job. Of the four responses, three agree and one offers a different opinion. I don't see where anyone recommended a professional for this job.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:31:40 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

I did it with this HVLP gun because it was all I could afford.
I have used Wagner electric sprayers before, and they are COMPLETE CRAP designed by someone who wants to overthrow the United States. Anything with the Wagner name on it has to be a POS, speaking from experience.
I did one wall a day with the HVLP, 2 coats/wall. And it looks _nice_. If I do say so myself.
If you're doing this commercially, or are in a big f*ing hurry, by all means, spend $900 on a professional grade electric pump/gun.
My house is brick. My garage is the only thing that needed the complete *paint job.* It was doable, doing 1 wall/day. Then again, as I said, I wasn't in any rush.
Lg

I used 120 gallons of paint to do the inside and out of our custom home in AZ. That might take quite a while.

120 gallons of paint?
Do you live in a civic auditorium or are you the guy with the $63,000 roof job?
FACE
probably can but don't know why you would want to.
Airless is much more efficient both in coverage rates and in reduced overspray for heavier house paints.
Frank
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 04:02:11 +0100, nocaff

Yup, you could use hvlp or you could use an artists brush. Go with a 1/2" wide brush and you can paint twice as fast as a 1/4" brush! (GRIN)
We own and use several spray systems - hvlp professional, hvlp homeowner, Airless professional, Airless homeowner, Conventional homeowner.
You would be better off renting an airless sprayer or using brush and roller. HVLP would work but would be painfully slow. A homeowner quality hvlp like the Harbor Freight or the Wagner Control Spray would be even slower than a professional hvlp system.
I love our hvlp sprayers including our Wagner Control Spray, but we only use them on small projects like painting doors, spraying car parts, and finishing furniture.
Have fun,
Craig
www.arizonavintagetrailers.com