HVAC Question

I have never known a compressor to run cool to the touch! It's a RTU that cools a laundry area in the basement. It is cooling that area. What can cause this? Thanks! bob

If no freon, pump is almost free-running, but you wouldn't get cooling in the bawement. But, are you sure you are not just getting the normal bawement wall cooling?
On 7/7/2011 11:32 AM, Bob Villa wrote:

The compressor could be getting too much freon back in liquid form. The charge should be checked and if the evaporator is equipped with an expansion valve, it could be stuck open. The airflow to the evaporator could also be restricted by dirt, dirty filter or too many vents shut. You can do some simple checks for proper air flow before calling an AC service company.
TDD

Thanks, I will check-out those suggestions. I know the filters are a more restrictive type (20x20x2). I'll try replacing the 4 with a cheaper fibre-glass filter.

Need more details. IS it working? What's the temp at the evaporator? Is it really "cool" to the touch or just not hot? And you felt it while it was running? Or shortly afterwards? And how shortly?