How to vent a basement room

I'm finished framing the basement of our new home. It has only 4 windows, only two of which will end up in the family room, the other 2 in the furnace room. There is also a bathroom and another bedroom, but there are no windows there. I figure that over time they will get to smell funky, so, while the walls are opened up I'm trying to figure out a way to vent air in and out of these rooms. Our heating system is hot water so, running ductwork is not an option. The downstairs will have a suspended ceiling.
I'm thinking of using large flexible hoses with a small quiet fan somewhere in the middle going to and from two vents on the outside (similar to dryer hose vents) with a switch that can turn the fan on/off. But in wintertime this will allow cold air into the room.
What about a stand-alone room air purifier? Is there such a thing?
Ideas? Thanks.
46erjoe wrote:

Something like a "whole house" heat exchanger / ventilator, you need constant air exchange. Maybe this is overkill but it will preserve your conditioned air & give you fresh air.....they're not cheap. Your dual fan system will work fine when you don't need to save conditioned air.
http://www.southface.org/web/resources&services/publications/technical_bulletins/WHVS-Wholehouse_vent%2002-0778.pdf
Honestly the whole setup makes me a little nervous (is it entirely below grade?) from a CO &CO2 point of view. Consider a CO sensor & an alarm for fan failure.
A room with "windows" into other room (most of these without windows) doesn't really have much in the way of windows. If you consider most home layouts, rooms w/o windows are using meant for temporary / short term occupancy (closets & bathrooms).
I might be being a little too worried but i'm sure you want to enjoy your new space for a long time.
cheers Bob

Dig a stairwell outside the cellar wall where the bedroom is, and punch a doorway through there. Or swap the bedroom and the family room. The bathroom you can ventilate with ductwork.

Do like dryer vents do, and put a flap on the vent, so it closes when not having air blown through it. Not to mention bugs flying in.
-- If I had something witty to say, this is where I'd say it.