How to upgrade fairly new kitchen?

Page 3 of 3

An improvement for sure. And that kitchen is laid out exactly like the other one. Is this home by the same builder?
wrote

This kitchen looks much more impressive than the previous photo's I saw. Love the white sink in the dark countertops and the contrast between the wall color and cabinet color. In the previous photo's with the oak cabinets, I think I'd want to choose an accent color to paint the walls in, something darker than the oak cabinets and white countertops. Something to set off the whole room, as before it kind of all blended in together. I also prefer the white or almond appliances over the stainless. Although stainless might be in *in* thing right now, over the long run I think the white or almond appliances retain their appearance much better.
As for the floors, I prefer stone in the kitchen area. I'm hovering back and forth between the stone and hardwoods *only* because my area is a kitchen/breakfast room. I have one long area, kitchen on one end, dining area on the other, separated by a large open archway. We have taken out the wall between the breakfast room and living room in our remodel. I am putting hardwoods throughout the rest of this open area. The hallway, living room, dining area. This area, now that we have ripped the wall out separating off the living room from the original kitchen/breakfast room area, will all be open. I really would prefer stone tile in the actual 'working end' of the kitchen, ending the hardwoods at that archway that spearates working end of kitchen from dining end. I'm just afraid having that change in flooring will make the room *feel* smaller, more choppy, than running the hardwoods straight through. Anybody have any opinions on that?
By the way, good luck with your upgrade!
td

Although mirrored, unless the photo was reversed.

Um - it's a new tract house. That's kinda what you expect. Houses of similar if not the same plan, in a subdivision.

Yeah I agree, I'm going with a green to offset the natural maple cabinets and giallo veneziano granite (which goes toward peach and black).

White is classic. Almond and 'bisque' has the problem of mismatch when appliances are replaced. Right now, the look is really 'out', although I do like it when it matches.
I agree about stainless. I spent part of my youth working in a fancy German restaurant kitchen. I don't want a commercial-looking kitchen at all.

I don't think that will look bad to have the flooring change at the archway. I'm breaking down a wall between the kitchen and an addition, and the addition floor isn't quite stiff enough for tile, so I'm going with a nice simple berber that will meet up nicely with the tile. Similar to what I have there already, but what's there already is 10 years old and there will be some later work in that room.
Or consider tiling the whole area, using area rugs to soften and absorb sound in the living and dining areas.

Ditto on the sentiment to Rex. And you.
Cheers, Banty
Rex wrote:

Looks OK as granite goes, except spending a mint on rock, but still not so much as a doorpull on those cabinets?
Did I mention Tuscan tile backsplashes as my least favorite? But the tile showrooms are full of it, so maybe it's me.
However, if they like the traditional style, I'm sure the kitchen works for them.
BTW, are you in CA, where 1000 sq. ft. houses command $800k? If so, the luxury touches are becoming so common that the resale mkt. demands them (unless I just watch too many remodeling shows).
"Bob (but not THAT Bob)"> wrote

Same here, I don't particularly care for them, must be a nightmare to keep clean, all them little holes and the textured surfaces. But you're right, they've been popular for quite some time now. I prefer a cleaner more unified look between the counter and the backsplash. Yes, its just me. :-)
"tiny dancer"> wrote

2 years ago my brother built a new home and had maple laminate flooring (Armstrong Swiftlock) installed throughout the house including the kitchen. That house is on a well with a softener. His wife poured a bottle of JetDry in the dishwasher socket and when she turned it on later the JetDry reacted with the softened water to cause the DW to fill up with foamy suds that forced its way out around the door gasket and flooding the floor in the kitchen. That soapy water caused the laminate to swell and buckle and it had to be replaced. Unfortunately Lowes stopped carrying that particular style of laminate so he ended up yanking all the laminate up in the kitchen and putting tile down. Its probably not a good idea to put wood or wood type flooring in wet areas.