How to Thin Latex Paint?

What is the best liquid to use for thinning latex paint? I read someplace not to use water to do this.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike

"Mike" wrote in news:dw4ve.1995$Uc2.1241@trnddc03:

I never had problems using water, but it depends on the kind of paint etc. What do the directions on the can say?

Reply to
bc

I use a product that is called Flotec, I believe. It is available at Home Depot. It thins, but also makes it flow on with a LOT (LOT!) less brush marks and stipple. You can add a tad of water, but be careful. This Flotec(I think that is it, will make sure tomorrow when I look in my shop) is GOOD stuff.

Or, at least that has been my experience.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Regular latex house paints are water base, mostly water, so water thins them fine. Floetrol can be used to actualy make them brush easier but is expensive and not necessary. The difference between many cheap lines of one company and their top line can be just water %. A trick to getting cheap paint to cover can be leaving the top off a 5 and letting water evaporate for a few days to weeks, stiring every day. So where you read water is not the right thinner for latex house paint is pure BS

Reply to
m Ransley

How did Barnum put it?

One born every...

Reply to
Hound Dog

OK, seems water is used by just about everybody.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Ya think? Could it be because that is what it says on the can? At least it has on every can I have bought.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K