How to tape water heater insulation blanket

Good evening,

My water heater has an insulation blanket which, unfortunately, has a hole cut into it vertically. Is it safe to use normal office adhesive tape to tape the insulation blanket, or could this be a fire hazard? (The insulation blanket doesn't seem to be very hot, more like lukewarm, but I thought I would ask.)

Apart from the fire hazard: I suppose that a different type of tape would improve the quality of the insulation. Which kind of tape should I get in the ideal case? Or would it be best to get a new insulation blanket altogether?

Many thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Best wishes,

David

Reply to
David Haardt

Hi, Due to warmth, tapes doesn't stay put long. Use bunge cord or twine to keep it in place. That is what I did.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Consider metallic duct tape.

Reply to
Jason Bourne

Great, thank you all very much!

D.

Reply to
David Haardt

You are right. I used duct tape on some hot water pipe insulation and it came apart in just three months.

Reply to
Phisherman

Large needle and twine.

Reply to