How to tape water heater insulation blanket

Good evening,
My water heater has an insulation blanket which, unfortunately, has a hole cut into it vertically. Is it safe to use normal office adhesive tape to tape the insulation blanket, or could this be a fire hazard? (The insulation blanket doesn't seem to be very hot, more like lukewarm, but I thought I would ask.)
Apart from the fire hazard: I suppose that a different type of tape would improve the quality of the insulation. Which kind of tape should I get in the ideal case? Or would it be best to get a new insulation blanket altogether?
Many thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Best wishes,
David
David Haardt wrote:

Due to warmth, tapes doesn't stay put long. Use bunge cord or twine to keep it in place. That is what I did.

You are right. I used duct tape on some hot water pipe insulation and it came apart in just three months.
David Haardt wrote:

Consider metallic duct tape.

Great, thank you all very much!
D.