How to stop my rugs from moving?

I have several small orientals on top of w/w carpeting. They never stay put. The slightest foot traffic makes them meander all over the wall to wall carpet. This happens without regard to the size of the throwrugs. Even 9x12 carpets are forever on the move.
I have tried the rubberized underlayments, without success. Short of nailing them to the floor, what can I do to hold them in one place?
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
m Ransley wrote:

Is the spray OK for carpet? I have same problem. I keep telling rugs must have legs, LOL. Tony
Walter R. wrote:

blackmail them with sex lies and videotape?
I bought a spray made for area rugs that slip around at Ace I think, so im sure is safe. It is probably a glue , even brushing on something like silicone rubber or caulk in small areas and let dry will give stick.

There is a difference in the rubberized underlayments. Some are designed to go between a smooth surface & a rug & the other is specially made to go between a carpet & a rug.
I would never use a spray adhesive if you value your carpet or your rug. It's really hard to get that stuff off and it isn't sticky enough to work in your application.
Walter R. wrote:

If you notice, they always go the same direction. That is due to the lay of the carpet tufts. I just replace my w/w and they somehow got it down the same way so my rugs still go the same direction. I haven't tried any of the sprays as I can't picture anything that would hold them in place without adding something to the w/w carpet itself.
Harry K

not an adhesive, it just has enough tack to hold the throw rugs in place. It's effectiveness seems to vary with the backing on the top rug and how old it is; tends to lose its tackiness. I've seen it at Home Depot and Lowes and carpet stores.

If you go to a "real" carpet store and describe your problem they can provide a firm felt carpet pad that is made especially to solve this problem. It's like the old-style felt underlay pads that used to be used under regular carpeting you put on the floor, except it is firmer and more solid. It provides a semi-flexible platform that holds the rug in place, even when you walk on it. They are about 3/8 inch thick.
We have two in our house which we use for two smaller oriental rugs laid on top of large broadloom area rugs. One oriental is about 6' x 8'; the other is 3' x 4.8'. The pads work great, with virtually no movement. They look good when the rug is over it. Thin rugs may wrinkle slightly after a while, but not much. Just straighten them out from time to time.
Don't know the name, or even if the pads have a name, but they work perfectly.
Walter R. wrote:

Could get a big upholstery needle and put a couple of loops of thread through at the corners, or just opposite corners so's you can pick it up to vacuum under the rugs.

Remove the rat under the rug !!!!

Toupee tape