how to replace dryer vent?

I was asked yesterday to replace a dryer duct. A previous owner had installed some three-inch PVC than ran from the sill plate through the wall and the roof. Aggie engineering at its finest! The house has been sold, and replacing this "duct" was a contingency of the sale.

I had been led to believe, by the real estate agent, that the only part that needed to be replaced was a section in the attic. When I found that the entire length needed to be replaced, including the part in the wall, I declined the job and referred the homeowner to a large appliance service company in town.

I don't have time in my schedule right now for a job this big with only a few days before closing; I couldn't tell if the pipe was strapped to the studs; and I didn't want to get half-way done and say to myself, "I wonder what to do next?" For all I know, I'd have to remove cabinets and wallboard. In addition, the roof penetration was too small for a regulation duct, and I stay away from roof work.

Anyway, I'm speculating about how I would have done this. I suppose I would have cut up the PVC with a reciprocating saw and hauled the pieces up into the attic. Can rigid duct be pushed down into a wall?

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Steve

A. Leave it as-is and offer the buyers some cash back at closing.

B. Leave it there. Install the new duct exposed along the wall and through a new hole in the ceiling.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

The Reverend Natural Light wrote in news:482439da- snipped-for-privacy@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

With option A., you have no recourse against you if they don't like it, complain, say they can smell moisture, etc.

Reply to
Red Green