How to paint T-111 grooves?

House is covered with T-111 with LOTS of vertical grooves. How do you get paint in the grooves? Can't get enough in with the sprayer without severely overspraying the surface. Roller works a little better, but not much. Short of going over each groove with a tiny airbrush, what's the secret to easy painting of T-111 Grooves. Thanks, mike

Reply to
mike

Brush it, making sure there is some overlap to the planks of the T-111, then follow up by spraying.

Altough - when I had my house painted, spraying was all that was needed for the portions sided with T-111.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

nap roller.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

My siding is not exactly 1-11, more like 1.5-15, but the problem is the same. I can't advise you if you are using *paint* because I use transparent oil stain. The best technique seems to be using a garden pump sprayer and cardboard pieces to block the overspray.

Reply to
Stubby

I would do just the opposite. Use a sprayer to get the paint up there, and then brush it in.

Reply to
toller

Paint brush. They still make them and they work well.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Would be my choice.

Reply to
3rd eye

Yep, a bit tedious but... I did a garage and two sheds with roller, carried a 3" brush to do the groves, technigue was to brush (using brush the narrow way) ahead for several grooves then roller it. Reason for the 3" (or 4") brush is so that it will carry enough paint to do a reasonable footage of seams.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I sprayed eight sheets with an airless. It puts enough paint on there so you can just touch up the grooves with a brush. Not everyone has an airless, though. Had I not had an airless, I would have just done the grooves with a brush, rolled the rest with a nappy roller, then finished touching the grooves with a brush.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

================================= My one garage (24x40) has T-111 and I tried spraying....BUT ended up as the above poster did....long Nap roller... and I sure was not stingy with the paint...

Just a lot easier..AND much faster...

Bob G

Reply to
Bob G.

I like this approach. It is far more rewarding. I am priming my 16x40 She-shed. I had to double prime the test area. To keep consistent I am priming the entire side. The original spray didn't cover much in terms of long trem protection.

Reply to
Cavsome