How to keep tools clean ???

I have some of my tools on a board in my second garage. Some of them, I only use occasionally. These tend to get a little rusty color on them. I buff them off with a wire wheel on the grinder about every three months.
My question: Is there something I can put on them to keep them from rusting? I spray they with WD 40, which I don't like, but it doesn't help in the least.
Appreciate any good advice.
Thanks, Bob-tx

Paste wax will work. The same stuff you use for your car should do fine.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Bob-tx wrote:

WD-40 ain't crap. Wipe 'em down with an oily rag next time you change the oil in your car.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Think gun protection! The same way you protect a firearm.
Varieties of oils are available.
Sewing machine squeaks - oil it.

The ultimate solution is to keep your tools in the same environment as pro shops do, heat in the winter, cool in the summer, 40% RH give or take. Temperature and humidity cycling are the things that promote rust. If that is not possible now, then use a spray type rust convertor like 'Permatex Rust Treatment' product # 81773 or 'Loctite Extend', product #30539. Both are thin lacquers with probably a phosphating ingredient. Look foor them in auto supply stores, hardware stores. My personal experience is with the Permatex. Did OK on some tool parts restoration. HTH
Joe

WD 40 has been working for me.
I'm guessing you've got some special circumstances.
Is the garage particularly damp? Leaking?
I once left some muriatic acid uncapped: everything in the area soon had a coat of rust. Carefully contain your chemicals.
Etc, etc.
On Mar 10, 6:57pm, Puddin' Man

I did the same thing. Damn, what a mess! Took weeks to get everything cleaned up. I still occasionally find something rusty that I missed cleaning.
KC

Muriatic acid, even in a closed container will cause everything in a room to rust. It's nasty stuff...
Erik

That has not been my experience at all.
Cheri
Cheri wrote:

Muriatic acid is often sold in plastic containers. I would not store it in a non-ventilated area as fumes will leach out of plastic and HCl wrecks havoc with iron.
As for op's question, keep tools oil coated. WD40 works for me.

When this same Q came up before someone said kerosene. Never tried it and have no idea if it works. Probably stinks for a while though.
Red Green wrote:

Probably works well, although I usually just use oil. Kerosene has some wax in it so when the light bits evaporate it will leave a little coating. Old time farmers used to wash their tractors with kerosene for this reason.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Kerosene is excellent. Take an old wash rag dampened with kerosene and wipe tools, hinges, latches, garden tools, mailbox, anything metal you want to protect. Safe on your skin, cheap, essentially non-toxic, but careful how you dispose the rag.

Use a brass or stainless steel wire wheel so you won't get transfer. Rub tools down with canning wax and rub in. Or, use Minwax paste. (I know everything about brushes)
Bob-tx wrote:

Wiping tools down with lanolin will prevent rust. Most pharmacies sell lanolin. A Scotsman I used to know used to say "use lanolin, have you ever seen any rusty sheep?"
EJ in NJ

Bob-tx wrote:

Just wipe them off with an oily rag.
--