How to Keep Mice Out Of My Boat This Winter

Do mothballs work? The boat is stored outdoors and covered with a tarp. Last year I had a very severe problem (for the first time- very cold late winter in NE.) I had also thought of D-Con but there are lots of nooks and crannies where they can go to die rather than leaving the premises! Your thoughts? Thanks! Frank.
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:24:13 +0000, frank1492 wrote:

Have the boat shrink-wrapped.
a 3 mil condom?
--

Christopher A. Young
.

"Meat Plow" < snipped-for-privacy@petitmorte.net> wrote in message
frank1492 wrote:

Hi, Soak a few cotton balls in Peppermint oil and place the here and there. Mice don't like the smell of it. Ypu can buy the oil in any health food store. I find Japanese Mint oil very strong.
A lot of people report good luck with mothballs. There are also people who have reported no luck at all with them. I suspect those that report good luck are reporting just that, "Good Luck" and not really "effect product."
It should be noted that naphthalene and 1,4-dichlorobenzene (both are used as mothballs) are both toxic to humans. They also would need to be renewed and they might cause damage to some parts of your boat.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Looking at all these. I'd like to avoid the cost of a shrinkwrap.
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 13:51:33 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"

Leave the boat in the water; announce abandon ship :-/

-- Oren
"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 19:43:07 +0000, frank1492 wrote:

Have at it then with mothballs and report back next spring.

frank1492 wrote:

Think cat.
Q: How many cats does it take to shrink wrap a boat? A: Ten, if you slice em thin.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

"HeyBub" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
When it sarts to get cold the critters look for warm/sheltered spots to winter over.
I would set traps (including glue traps) and poison. If your boat has hidden places you might anticipate this and place a few feet on fiberglass insulation batts. When you open your boat up again you will likely find some dead mice inside.

For what its worth - the local radio handyman-talk-show host insists mice hate the smell of peppermint and a little peppermint oil mixed in water will keep them away.

frank1492 wrote:

Place several bait stations that protect the bait from weather and non target animals around the boat and surrounding area. Bait blocks will be more attractant than the D-Con and will be able to secure better in the Bait Stations.
Lar
The boat will be covered.

frank1492 wrote:

The idea with the stations around the boat is to have the mice that are foraging near the boat feed on the bait and be eliminated before they are actually moving into the boat and finding the bait.
Lar