How To Drain and Refill Boiler

I have a Peerless WV3 boiler as my heating system with an embedded coil for domestic hot water.

Can somebody point me to instrux on proper drainage and refilling ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Vince

Is this a hot-water heating system? If so routine draining is not recommended and serves only to introduce oxygen into the system which causes rust.

I recommend that you go to

and find out more than you probably really want to know about your type heating system.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Dan made a good point, but I need to ask one simple question.

Why do you want (or need to) drain the boiler?

Reply to
HeatMan

Need to drain boiler (or Lower the water level ???) so that a baseboard heater element may be replaced.

Reply to
Vince

Hi Dan:

Yes, hotwater heating.

Thanks.

Reply to
Vince

There should be a valve or two on the boiler that you can open. Shut off the feed first, then open the drain valve. It does not have to be 100% empty, just enough that you can replace the baseboard. It will fill itself after you open the feed, but you may have to bleed off some air. Some heating systems have automatic valves for that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks Ed:

When you refer to the "feed", is that meant to be the main feed control for the entire house ?

There is a control valve between the cold water feed line and the pressure regulator, which is followed by an air bleed valve. I think that is the valve for me to use, or should I use the house main water feed shut off control valce that is above (follows) the water meter ?

I will also shut down the electrical power to the heating system while

I have located the drain valve; it has a fitting for attaching a garden hose to it. I can route the drain water to a nearby drywell drain located outside my basement door.

There is a second hose spicket/valce located at the base of the boiler cabinet. I don't think that is the valve to use when draining, as there is no need to drain water from the boiler itself. OK?

There is a shut off valve in the return path also, between the drain valve and the water circulator pump. I dont know if that valve must be closed or left as is ?

I've just taken some digital pics, and can upload those for viewing at epson photo website, if needed.

Thanks again for your info, Ed.

Reply to
Vince

No need to shut off the house. Thee should be a valve either on or just before the boiler to shut off the feed into it.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. You don't want it to fire when water is low.

That's the one. You won't get a lot out of it.

Correct. As long as the line you are working on is drained yo are good to go.

You should not need it.

If you are still unsure,, go ahead, but I think you have the right idea. You're welcome.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski