How to catch a lizard?

Page 1 of 2
Occasionally I am invaded by small lizards (6-8"). They come in through tiny cracks under the screen door or when the doors is left open inadvertently. They probably thrive and grow on a feast of ants and insects.
They are lighting fast and hide under the bed and places like that.
They probably do no harm. I would prefer to get rid of them, though. Any ideas?
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

You would rather have ants and insects?
(Are you sure they are 8"?! Where the heck are you?)

Must live in a barn in the desert!
What he needs is a 'lizard catcher' http://www.macnstuff.com/mcfl/1/lizard.html
This technique probably wouldn't work on the lizards I met in the deserts of Kuwait which are about the size of small Volkswagens and travel at Mach 2 speed (at least when you step on them by mistake when they bury themselves in the sand!). The first time that happened I almost had the 'big one', probably wasn't too pleasant for the lizard either but WTF!
Jay

OR Florida!

Hey Jay, they sound like the lizards in Mexico. I left my room at a resort and there was a big black Iguana on the lawn about 3 feet long.....when you are standing there in your swim suit barefoot...well that'll scare the *&%$ out of ya!....Ross

Living in Florida,I was laying on a loungechaise at the pool,and a lizard leaps from nearby foliage onto my shoulder. It didn't scare me,but a lady friend next to me screamed bloody murder and jumped up,moved a few feet away.
I just put an open paper bag in front of the lizard,and come at it from behind,chasing the lizard into the bag,then out the door for release.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,

Get a cat.
Don't depend on a cat. I found a lizard dozing next to my curled up cat last summer. Took a picture to prove it.

OK....MY cat, then. :-) If she runs out of mice or squirrels to murder, she chases dry leaves and brings them to the door. Totally nuts.
Walter R. wrote:

The Florida variety like to sneak in, too. I don't bother with them, just let them find their way out the way they came in. On the rare occasion that they do not get out, they just dry up without any odor. We have a small butterfly net from the dimestore that the grandkids use to catch them outdoors - they are fast, but can be captured.

tiny
inadvertently.
Agreed, sit on a chair with the buttefly net as suggested, but to speed things along, also make a noise like a fly.

You could try one of these
http://www.honoluluzoo.org/kookaburra.htm
or one of these
http://faunanet.gov.au/wos/factfile.cfm?Fact_ID )4
I have both around my place and I have no trouble with lizards.
My technique to catch individual lizards, which usually works, is slowly come at them with a rag or paper towel, from directly overhead so that both lizard eyes see the towel. I read once that doing this makes it difficult for them to sense that the towel is approaching, because the view in both eyes is the same and they don't get a signal to dart away. When I get close enough I just grab the lizard with both hands. Rarely does the lizard have a chance to get away, If possible, I'll release the animal outside, or if necessary just flush it away.

Walter R. wrote:

You can buy snake traps that are just glue traps. I imagine a form of glue trap would also work for legged reptiles.
Walter R. wrote:

As one poster suggested, think cat.
Lizard hunting will provide hours of fun and diversion for both the cat and you.
You can borrow a cat if you're adverse to a commitment.

and
A dozen posts, and nobody has suggested fixing the damn door? Add a sweep weatherstrip on the bottom, a spring to keep it closed, and fix any other entry points you notice.
aem sends...

Did you know that some lizards have detachable tails? I found out when a lizard got in my house.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Walter R. wrote:

I'll send you my 7-yr-old. He catches the lizards out of my house! Mostly I don't sweat them too much. :)
amy
amykae wrote:

Why catch? They eat bugs, flies,mosquitoes. it's benefitial.