How to bring a wire out of a flush breaker box to the surface?

If it comes out of the wall above 6'6 it will usually not be considered "subject to physical damage" so the problem is mostly asthetic. If you want a little more hardened and industrial looking, use MC cable.

Reply to
gfretwell

I want to bring a wire out from behind the sheetrock, in which the breaker cabinet is recessed. Then I can staple the wire to the outside of the wall and up along the ceiling, etc. Its in my garage.

Can I just make a hole just above the breaker box, and stick it through?

Thanks!

Dean ps Its for a 3/4 HP blower motor I'm putting in the basement.

Reply to
dean

Interesting question. I am inclined to say that doing it your way will not protect it properly. Cable has to installed so it cannot be easily damaged; through studs, on the side of studs, etc.; never where it is exposed. You could run some wood along side it, or run it though conduit.

My flush box is on a paneled wall; so I pulled the panel off to do some wiring. You don't have that luxury.

Reply to
Toller

Well I was considering using 1x1" wood strips to make a channel (the wires between 2 strips of wood, maybe 2" apart), possibly even covering it with a thin ply or something, I bet I can get a whole load out of a

4x8 sheet of thin ply.

You see, I want to expand in the future and possibly add some 20 amp outlets, generator outlets, etc. I saw the expandable enameled metal boxes, but they are big $$$$$.

Dean

Reply to
dean

If the wire goes to the ceiling, drill a half inch hole in the wall at ceiling level (abive the box). Feed wire behind sheetrock to box. Remove a small piece of drywall above box to install wire into box.

This way the wire is behind the wall until it gets to the ceiling. You could even encase it in steel or pvc conduit on the ceiling for protection. Just shove the romex into the pipe.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

don't overlook box knockouts in various directions in the breaker box. you may want an outlet or light at the box, now's your chance to put in an outlet box if your wire is changing room to room.

Reply to
buffalobill

In that case the usual remedy is to make a removable drywall panel above the electric panel. The electric panel should be mounted between two studs. Cut the drywall down the center of each stud from the ceiling to the top of the electric panel. Remove the drywall and install the wiring, replace the drywall panel and cover the cut lines with molding strips. The next time that you want to install wiring it will be a breeze. Probably best to turn off the main breaker to the panel before cutting the drywall since there will be a lot of other cables behind the drywall above the electric panel.

Reply to
volts500