how to brace wall from outside

Have a load bearing wall with 4 floor to ceiling windows. I would like to close these up. I can get braces built on the inside. Not sure how to brace from the outside though. It's straight up.

Pics 1 & 2 are inside views. Pics 3 & 4 are from the outside looking up.

Any ideas?

thx richard

Reply to
a2rjh

Hi, Is the wall 2x4 or 2x6? Either way I'd build stud walls to fit the openings and exterior sheathing + house wrap + exterior matching finish, use insulation of your choice for the new wall + vapor barrier + finish the wall(making sure they are flush with existing wall)

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Maybe I'm missing something. Why do you need to brace it? The windows aren't are bearing any load, so you can take them out without worry. I assume the supports between the windows are bearing a load, unless the header is doing all the work.

If the supports between the windows aren't where you need them to be, e.g.

16? or 24" OC, put your other studs in place before removing the existing supports.

Am I missing something?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

+1 I don't see what the need for "external bracing" is either.
Reply to
trader_4

Hello Derby,

That's what I get from rushing a post. I am planning on taking out the beam support and the posts and replacing it with a conventional wall.

There are studs sitting on top of that beam going across supporting the roof rafters. I just wanted to make sure that those studs get supported. When I take out that cedar beam, they will be floating.

I can brace from the inside to support the ceiling joists, but the studs will need support when I take the wall out. Just wanted to be sure they stay when in put in the top plates (there are no top plates).

thanks

Reply to
a2rjh

Why take out the beam? Is there something wrong with it? If not, just full in the wall below the beam and leave the beam in.

Reply to
clare

Why do you need to take out the beam?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Gv1sRgCKbakMjo_u6uLw

am support and the posts and replacing it with a conventional wall.

oof rafters. I just wanted to make sure that those studs get supported. Whe n I take out that cedar beam, they will be floating.

will need support when I take the wall out. Just wanted to be sure they sta y when in put in the top plates (there are no top plates).

You don't explain why you want to replace the wall. If all you need to do is remove the windows then remove them and frame the holes.

If you really need to remove the beam you will have to support the structur e above it. It looks like there is a second story above it? If the second story construction is platform on wall then you can simply build a tempora ry wall just inside the original wall.

If it's something else then you need to figure out exactly what the constru ction above the beam is before we can give you good advice.

Reply to
jamesgang