How Much Concrete Can A Pickup Carry?

Page 3 of 3

wrote
The cost to make two trips will be a lot

Well, then, fifteen trips should be VERY safe.
Steve

True!
FYI - 1/2 ton means nothing! I had a 1/2 ton with a cargo weight rating of 800 lbs. The same truck with different factory options could carry more than 1/2 ton. Depends on how the truck was ordered and built!
The weight rating can be found on a label on the driver's door or in the glove compartment typically. This is the weight rating for THAT specific truck.
The weight rating is not just how much weight the truck can hold, rather it is how much weight it can hold and still be driven SAFELY. This means braking when going downhill (and not having the brakes fail), turning corners and not rolling over, being able to suddenly brake and turn to avoid a kid running out in the street, etc.
Also if you load a vehicle with too much weight, the wheel bearings can get wrecked. Axles, bearings, wheels, and tires have weight ratings as well.

Bingo!!
Look at a real 3/4 ton rear axle, then your 1/2 ton rear axle. Whole different animal. As for tires, you betchya! I was once stopped and cited in a company gravel truck because the FRONT TIRES! were not the proper ply/weight rating.
nb

Let's put this in perspective. 900 lbs is four fat people. I see that load getting out of a car every day at the WalMart

weight. The gross vehicle weight for a D100, which is the lightest Dodge pickup except for the Mitsubishi supplied D50, ranges from 4001 to 5000 lbs depending on equipment. If it is a short box 6 cyl the curb weight is 2745 - and GVW is 4001,so the minimum payload capacity would be (4001-2745=)1256 lbs. If it is an 8 foot box V8, curb weight is 3909 and GVW is 5000 lbs, so payload is (5000-3909=) 1091 lbs..
This is on BASE MODEL D100 trucks - extra GVW options were also available. D150 would handle higher GVW (but is likely also a bit heavier empty)
ransley wrote:

Stops just fine.
--
LSMFT

20 yrs old? 21K miles!
Sounds like a gem. Considering that, what might be considered wasteful may be wise. Two trips might be a warm fuzzy. Since you are driving 24 miles just for concrete which can be got most anywhere, I can assume there's not a nearby HD/Lowes where you can get a truck for $20/75min?

The only way to be sure is not to use it.
If you take it be aware with some vehicles they will start to sway at higher speeds when loaded.
Also, that usually harmless pothole/bump/whatever can do some nasty things when loaded.
My story: An old 1/2T pickup I loaded up with bags of concrete. It was more than 15. Went well. Next inspection I had a cracked leaf spring.
Another thought is take dad on a road trip. Spend some time with him. At least if anything goes wrong you won't feel so bad like it's neglect on your part.

I'll stay out of the load rating but...
Due to it being a cherry rig, be sure to pad the bed. Sacks of that stuff leak a bit and will leave scratches and lots of dust in an unprotected bed.
Harry K

Good idea; put a cheap 'tarp' in the back under the bags to catch the dust.
A half ton truck can presumably handles 1000 pounds easily.
BTW 900 pounds is roughly four, not extremely obese, people.

225lbs IS extremely obese for most people. Unless it's a very athletic/muscular man over 6' tall. It's 75-110lbs overweight for women.

Many moons ago I opened back slider window with mulch in the back. Mulch storm in the cab.

Don't you just hate that?!
Kate wrote the following:

Look on the sticker on the drivers door frame. The load limit will be posted there.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

How old are the tires and what type, be sure to inflate them cold to just under the maximum, if the are 89 or have visable rot forget the trip.
On 7/13/2010 10:02 PM, Kate wrote:

chuckles.
My problem has been solved, thanks to Dear Dad.
This morning he had the air in the tires checked, filled the truck up with gas, and brought home 15 sixty-pound bags of concrete. Then he said, "Here you go, it is a gift". He got it in town, one mile from home, whereas I was going to go to Ziggy's where I have to go tomorrow night to pick up the rest of the vinyl gate/fence material. My plan was to fill the truck up with gas on my way home. I will still use the truck for the rest of the material, but I owe my parents a very nice dinner in the near future.
My parents are the best, and everyone here is too.
Many thanks.
Kate
I was pl

He gave you the pickup? No, guess not huh... :-)
On 7/14/2010 8:56 PM, Kate wrote:

FWIW, I had an old Chevy 3/4 ton pickup and I used to carry about 2000 to 3000 pounds in it fairly regularly. I put 4600# in it once, but the steering got kind of squirrely (brakes were still fine; it had huge brakes.) The actual limit is usually the tires. With a 3/4 ton truck, if you do overload it and break an axle they are easy to replace and you don't even have to unload the truck. With a 1/2 ton truck, if you break an axle you are in deep doo-doo.
Your little truck probably should handle 1000 pounds just fine if you air the tires up to the maximum pressure that's stamped on the sidewalls, but I can't really say because I can't see your tires from here.
Put heavy loads towards the front of the cab so the front tires share some of the weight. That also keeps them from shifting if you have to slam on the brakes.
Buy your dad a nice steak dinner. :-)
Bob

incident - but once, with the tires at the "recommended" pressure, and on a bit of a side-hill in slightly soft ground, he rolled all 4 tires off the rim at once. - and called ME to get him out of his fix. Jacked it up with a HandiMan jack, removed the wheels and re-inflated them to 50PSI, put them back on, and away he went.
He had a Toyota "heavy Half" that almost always had over a ton and a half on it for 6 years - and my old man has a heavy foot too. One wheel bearing failure in those 6 years. It had a "barn" on the back made of 1/2 inch plywood, and was always loaded to the gills with rolls of copper wire and other electrical supplies, and several heavy duty ladders on the roof.