How Much Concrete Can A Pickup Carry?

Page 2 of 3

At one time it did mean 1/2 ton, but that was a long time ago. Now it is just a marketing word. Sort of like "dialing" a number on a phone, we now "press" numbers, yet still call it dialing. (FYI - For you young whipper snappers, phones at one time had a dial on them as well as a wire connecting them to the wall.)
Trucks have all sorts of options you can order. Different transmissions, axles, springs, wheels, etc. Here is a list of GM options for example... http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/96transam/rpocodes.html
For large cities and "vanity" trucks people drive around in without a scratch, no one ever uses these to haul anything, so they frequently have the lowest weight ratings. But in a rural area where they are using the trucks for hauling anything and everything, they want hauling capacity and that is what the dealers order and have on the lots.
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 05:35:58 -0500, Steve Barker

A half ton truck has a MINIMUM of 1000 lb carrying capacity - usually 1200 or more.

Go to a truck lot and look at the labels on the drivers door on the various trucks...
I used to have a 81 Ford F-100 "1/2 ton" pick-up which had a cargo weight rating of 800 lbs - label on the driver's door...
I now have a "3/4 ton" pick-up which has a weight rating of 1900 lbs (label on the door). I have this truck because I got tired of replacing the rear bearings on the "1/2 ton" truck...

Unless the frame is totally gone, 900lbs should be a walk in the part (for the truck, anyway).

"Half-ton" is the class, not the cargo rating. You'll likely find that the cargo rating is 1500lbs, or even more (mine's 1750lbs, IIRC).
Tony wrote: ...

There is no state that I'm aware of that has load tag limits on light-duty trucks other than the highway axle limits that are far beyond what OP's asking to carry so legality is not going to an issue whatsoever.
The overall vehicle weight rating is the limiting limit but there's a lot of conservatism in them compared to reality.
The possible actual limiting factor for an old truck w/ almost no miles _MIGHT_ be the condition of the tires--are they still original or have they been replaced sometime in a relatively recent time frame?
The actual GVWR for the actual vehicle will be on a plate on the door column or in the glove box or somewhere else on the vehicle. If it's this pristine, there's likely the OEM book in the glove box as well.
As for the half-, 3/4-ton, etc., it is as someone noted, only a class rating that distinguishes basic group of axles/suspension/transmission/engine packages available. Each manufacturer is a little different but each tries to out-spec the other by a few pounds in their ratings for advertising purposes so they can tout "highest payload" and so they leapfrog each other from one model year to another.
Kate wrote:

Spend $6 and make two trips.
I once piled the trunk of an older, but low mileage car with all my belongings and moved cross country. Blew the seals out of the shock absorbers.

Not the same, but I put a cargo carrier on the back of my Lebaron Connvertible, via the trailer hitch receiver, and then put 10 or 15 pieces of semi-dry sod on it. Made the mistake of doing it while the car door was open and then I couldn't shut the door. Car bent in the middle. Had to put half of the sod in the backseat, and then it was okay. I drove slow.
On 7/14/2010 1:51 AM, mike wrote:

the way you loaded it had nothing to do with the shocks starting to leak. They are designed to work properly all along their full stroke.
--
Steve Barker
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 05:37:20 -0500, Steve Barker

On 7/14/2010 3:50 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The suspension stops will not allow the shocks to bottom out.
--
Steve Barker
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 17:23:28 -0500, Steve Barker

rebounds.
Essentialy my thought. It's within the weight rating, but make two trips.
--
.
"mike" < snipped-for-privacy@go.com> wrote in message
news:i1jmpv$ekg$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

the axles and Bob's your uncle.

Its nearly 22 years old so go easy on it, sure it can take 1/2 ton total weight with passengers if its a 1/2 ton- 1000 lb but old metal and rubber parts get weak, is there any rust on this 22 yr old then be even more carefull, do it in 2-3 loads 3 is better on rough roads Ive broken springs and bushings with only a few hundred pounds hitting a bump and city driving in cars. Im not sure if fuel is part of the load rating, but im pretty sure people are.
On 7/14/2010 1:02 AM, Kate wrote:

The vehicle is >20 years old. If it were a beater no one cared about then load it up. Since it isn't making two trips might be a plan.
Kate wrote:

I can haul a pallet (one ton) of pellets on my Nissian Frontier with no problem. That's 2000 lbs. Even better now since I added 1500lb spring boosters.
--
LSMFT

Brakes are big part of ratings, sure you can haul 2000lb but it wont stop well, get in an accident thats your fault and your weight could be a charge of negligence.

Brakes are big part of ratings, sure you can haul 2000lb but it wont stop well, get in an accident thats your fault and your weight could be a charge of negligence.
"Half ton" used to mean that there was a payload of 1000 lbs. What it means now, who knows? But I would think 900 lbs would be at the high end of what you can carry. The cost to make two trips will be a lot less than the cost of having to replace shocks and whatever else might go wrong.
On Jul 14, 8:17am, "The Post Quartermaster"

I think gasolene , spare tire, and people were never part of the rating, so a half ton with 2 -200lb passengers, 20 gallon of gas and a 50 lb tire can only carry 450 lb and be at 1/2 ton, I had a full size blazer that would sag badly with 2-300 lbs and at 22 years and dads pristine toy I would not risk a heavy load, im sure it would be fine but ive broken my cars and trucks.
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:17:36 -0500, "The Post Quartermaster"

ton of payload if properly distributed and driven sensibly on reasonable road surfaces. Handling will not be fantastic, and you need to drive carefully to avoid having to do panic stops - but 900 lbs will definitely not hurt any half ton truck in reasonable condition under normal on-road driving conditions.