How many receptacles on a circuit allowed?

Greetings,

You won't find a "device number" limit because there isn't one. However, I have heard that you will have more luck with either more or less than thirteen devices on a branch circuit.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Hiya, I'm installing a new circuit at my house and am thinking of adding a couple of receptacles to it as well. The lighting load will be pretty minimal so I'm sure from a load standpoint, I'd be fine to add the receptacles. What worries me is the sheer number of "devices" allowed on a single circuit. I have been looking through the NEC codebook furiously looking for an edict such as "maximum of 7 devices per circuit" and can't find it. Is there such a beast? If so, what's the NEC reference number and how many is it? I appreciate any help you all can give. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Ok. I thought I was going crazy as I've heard there is a limit. I better check my locality to see if they have a limit. I've "heard" it is 10 so 7 lights and 2 recepts. should be fine but I'd better look up the state code. Thanks much. I poured over the NEC book looking for something with little luck. On the flip side, I'm slowly starting to learn the entire book this way! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Thanks Folks, I was able to find the verbage in the state codes. I had been devoted to finding it in the NEC with no luck, as you all know. Anyway, according to the state code, it's 10 so I'm well within the parameters. Thanks for the help! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

The NEC doesn't say how many devices on a branch circuit. But local inspectors *always* have an opinion on how many is too much, so find out what the local rules are. Probably something like 8 devices (duplex or simplex doesn't matter) on a 15A circuit and 12 on a 20A circuit. Again, this is local custom, not part of the electric code.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

In Calgary, it's a limit of twelve... So twelve lights, or six duplex outlets or any combination.

Reply to
Noozer