How long for sewer pipe to clear?

We have a slow sewer line between the house and the street. It's almost certainly roots. I read somewhere that roundup can kill those off, so I flushed a couple of gallons of roundup down the toilet. How long before it has an effect?
| We have a slow sewer line between the house and the street. | It's almost certainly roots. I read somewhere that roundup can | kill those off, so I flushed a couple of gallons of roundup down | the toilet. How long before it has an effect?
It depends on how long it takes for the tree to fall on your house.
Actually, rock salt will kill the roots. BUT you still have to have them cut out by the plumber dude with the snake machine.

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 11:41:49 -0700, Gen wrote:

Maybe 80 years after the roots disintegrates.

round up doesnt kill thru roots, just leaves........
sorry that effort was a waste of time and money
use rock salt, partially dissolve 25 pounds in your basement sink, and leave the home for the day. so you dont wash the salt past the roots.
a partial clog actually works better for rock salt, the salt water rangs up and kills roots better
normally 12 hours kills small roots, if they are large snaking with root cutter may still be necessary.
do it every month or two to prevent root re growth,
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

priceless. I'd rather just bite the bullet and get it over with, and replace the line with seamless root-proof PVC, and be done with it forever. Don't forget, to any potential buyer that has ever had a sewer backup, that note on the listing that the sewer line has been replaced is a BIG selling point.
-- aem sends...

well i live within walking distance of a big grocery store. could walk and haul it home in a wagon.
i do agree repolacing the line is best. ours had tree roots for over 10 years. my rock salt has worked fine all that time.
in our case we must rip up the garage and basement floor, part of a asphalt driveway, a retaining wall and sidewalk.
our line has a sag, a low area so that sock liner thing cant be used, i have had the line snaked followed by a camera, the videotape is still around here. every terracota joint but one had roots
I am hoping to replace all of the line under the house this year, before i get too old to bother, or be physically able.
we just gotr a new furnace with air, a interior freanch drain in that area. and a new sewer line from bath vent to garage floor, line had rotted out.
my wife wants a new gutted kitchen i want the bones of the home replaced, and fix up my shop in the basement and garage
I've not ever heard of using Roundup. The standard that I have used with good luck commercially and personally is copper sulphate. It does not remove the roots, but poisons them so they don't come back. The roots seem to "learn" not to try.
I'm afraid the cost and labor with the Roundup was a waste. You need a good job with a root cutter head on the sewer machine, all the way to the main. Follow with a good dose with copper sulphate. If you know you have a root problem, dose once in the spring and again in the late summer before the leaves fall, as trees seem to put out anther batch of roots looking for water.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Call your city engineering department. Mine will come in every six months and auger the tree roots out of the pipes. In three years they are going to put a new sewer line on my block and I'l be getting a new pipe in to the house. Yeah!
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 11:41:49 -0700, Gen wrote:

If you did indeed put Roundup down the sewer, you are irresponsible with regard to the environment. Glycophosphate is NOT environment friendly. Doesn't it say right on the label not to use around ponds, lakes and streams? Where do you think your sewer water goes?

Franz Fripplfrappl

To the bottled water factory?
Troll O Meter
--