How important is the barnd in furnace & A/C?

Looking to get a new furnace & whole house A/c. Just how important is the name brand of the units?? I know that the installer is the key factor to everything but is any of the brands better of worse than others?? I have been told that you are paying for the advertising that many of the major players do, & some of the lower, no name brands are just as good, even better than major manufactures. What brands do you have a preference for & why do you feel that way?? Thanks to anyone in the crowd that responds Al
Consumer Reports did a poll of apx 35000 over 5 or so years on reliability experianced, Goodman was last. Read their article
am3f wrote:

Usually, (at least in my area), each Heating and Air Conditioning company has their own preferred brand. It's a good idea to get three estimates and attempt to narrow down the variables so you are not comparing apples to oranges. High efficiency higher cost less reliable furnace, or lower efficiency lower cost more reliable furnace. 12, 13 or 14 SEER AC?. Bryant, Lennox, Carrier. I think the reputation, reliability and honesty of the installer is far more important than the brand.
Lena

I'm not buying the higher efficiency less reliable thing. Fact is, even lower efficiency units are starting to use some of the same technologies to boost efficiency.