How do you paint Formica-type laminate

How do you paint Formica-type laminate?
Thanks
geezer wrote:

If you are smart, you don't. Well you don't if you are planning to use it as a counter. The paint is not going to hold up.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
geezer wrote:

I used a Zinsser primer, probably B-I-N shellac based, to paint a cabinet covered with laminate. The label stated that it could be used on laminate. I checked the Zinsser website, and found a list of applications, but they don't show laminate.
http://www.zinsser.com/Primerapps.asp ?
Zinsser is a popular brand for tough jobs, and the shellac base is a little more difficult to use because it dries quickly and has strong fumes. Need adequate vent, fire hazard. I used oil base semi paint, and it holds up very nicely. Sure would not consider paint if this is for a counter top. Must make sure the surface is clean and free of dust, mildew, grease, etc. Denatured alcohol good for getting last traces of grease.