How do you cut granite tile???

I am going to be putting in 12x12 inch granite tile on my kitchen countertop. The installation will be pretty straightforward because my counters are straight without any complicated turns. However, I will need to cut some of the tiles to fit. My questions are:
1. Do I need a special masonary blade to cut granite tile? I have a 7" masonry blade I bought from HD for purposes of cutting sewer pipe. I suspect that it is a general purpose diamond blade.
2. Do I cut granite tile in a special way? For example, do I start cuts on the smooth or shiny side.... or, should I start cuts on the dull side of the tile?
Is there anything else I should know about handling these tiles?? Your input will be greatly appreciated.
Al Kondo
Al,
Segmented rim, wet cutting blades, designed for hard stone are recommended for granite. I would suspect your 7" blade is not of that nomenclature. Rule of thumb is that the blade should enter the cut through the polished side to deter chipping. Another was to say it is that the direction of the blade should be cutting into the shiny side.