How do you clean aluminum trim?

I have white aluminum trim around the house, and it's dirty. I tried wiping it with a wet cloth. Should I use a different solution? It wipes fine in some areas. In others, the dirt appears to have actually stained the aluminum.
[I probably should have had a real contractor do the job. But that's another story.]
We use some cream my wife got at the bike store. Sorry dont know what the name is label has been off for a couple of years. Seems to work on chrome stainless and Al.