On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 15:45:38 -0500, FireBrick wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the advice! I didn't expect quite this much
1) Both of the safes are in pretty rough shape. I don't know much about
antique safes (OK, nothing) but the monster is missing the handle and
combo wheel, and the small one has had the hinges hacked off. I doubt
there would be too much interest in them.
2) There's just no way to get a vehicle into the backyard.
3) The stairs leading out of basement to the backyard are concrete, so I
should be OK there.
4) The comealong idea sounds good, I'd been thinking along those lines.
There is a huge oak tree more-or-less inline with the stairs. Hmmm. Lay
some plywood over the steps, build a sled for the safe to ride on. Some
steel cable, a comealong. Maybe.
5) I'll keep the "bury it" ideas as a last resort :^). I sure as heck
didn't think of that one!
6) Isn't Geraldo still in Iraq? :^)
7) "battery powered hand truck"? I'll have to look into that!
Once again, thanks for the suggestions. If I survive the removal process,
I'll let you know what happened.