How difficult is it to run new AC duct?

Page 2 of 2
I'm sorry, I meant to say ~20 years old. And the metal duct work is much more expensive, not to say more difficult to join. While I'm at it, I plan to replace all the vent cans and grills.
Richard wrote:

How long do you give wall studs?
Richard wrote:

Why do you need to replace duct runs in a 10 year old house?

Because they are there. Sir Edmund Hillary
JohnH wrote:

They are flex duct. Flex duct is junk but sometimes necessary.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
If the ducts are approx 20 y/o, the are most likely the grey plastic covered ones. They were pure junk at best. The outer cover crumbles over time, regardless of where it is located, but if it is where any sunlight can get to it (gable vent, under turbine vents, etc.) it will pretty much turn into powder in a very short time. The new flex duct is about 1000 times better. The outer jacket is UV resistant silver Mylar, and the insulation is thicker. A word of caution, HD/Lowes at one time carried some flex duct that was not much better that the grey junk, and it cost at least as much as the high quality stuff. We use a lot of "Atco" brand and have had good luck with it. Pay the extra money and get R8 insulation (2" thick) rather than the R6 (1.5"). Beyond that, just swapping out flex duct , keeping sizes and everything the same, should be a fairly easy DIY project. Good luck Larry