How difficult is it to run new AC duct?

I'm sorry, I meant to say ~20 years old. And the metal duct work is much more expensive, not to say more difficult to join. While I'm at it, I plan to replace all the vent cans and grills.

Reply to
Richard

Ductwork can go bad? Or is it like changing oil, just something you do every

3000 miles or so?

What are the signs?

Reply to
HeyBub

If the ducts are approx 20 y/o, the are most likely the grey plastic covered ones. They were pure junk at best. The outer cover crumbles over time, regardless of where it is located, but if it is where any sunlight can get to it (gable vent, under turbine vents, etc.) it will pretty much turn into powder in a very short time. The new flex duct is about

1000 times better. The outer jacket is UV resistant silver Mylar, and the insulation is thicker. A word of caution, HD/Lowes at one time carried some flex duct that was not much better that the grey junk, and it cost at least as much as the high quality stuff. We use a lot of "Atco" brand and have had good luck with it. Pay the extra money and get R8 insulation (2" thick) rather than the R6 (1.5"). Beyond that, just swapping out flex duct , keeping sizes and everything the same, should be a fairly easy DIY project. Good luck Larry
Reply to
lp13-30

How long do you give wall studs?

Reply to
JohnH

Don't use flex duct. The stuff may be easier to use, but it also is far less efficient at moving air and as you have found out, has a shorter life. Do it right once and you don't need to do it again. Use metal.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

"Here's yer sign...."

;-]