How can you tell how much propane is left in a tank?

Propane in the house IS more dangerous than natural gas, because being heavier than air it tends to "pool" in low spots - where you might not smell the mercapitan. Natural gas is lighter and mixes with the air, making a leak more likely to be smelled before there is a combustible concentation anywhere dangerous.

Bringing it in to weigh it is not "storage". Storage is leaving it un-monitored.

Reply to
clare

Poor a little warm water down the side of the tank long enough for it to warm the area then use your hand to determine where the temperature changes from warm to cool and you will know the approximate level of the fluid inside within a 1/4 inch. I have used this method for a long time with good success.

Reply to
BobR

I tried the gauges years ago and they didn't work worth spit. Ran out of gas more times than I care to admit when the guage still said I had reserve.

Reply to
BobR

The float guage would be accurate since it uses the fluid level inside the tank to determine the level. Most of the guages being discussed are not float type guages and can only measure pressure of the gas. Your guage must be included into the construction of the container and that is not the case with portable containers.

Reply to
BobR

=3D=A0Your technique sounds ideal for the normal

i grill year round, occasionally have to bring the tank indoors and put in hot water to get it working.

yum steaks in zero degree,,,,,,,

Reply to
bob haller

No problem "working with" the tank in the house - but no "storage". - for the reasons I stated before.

Reply to
clare

Robert Green posted for all of us...

I know how to snip articles...

Why do you have a propane tank INSIDE a structure? KABOOM?

Reply to
Tekkie®

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news20.forteinc.com:

probably illegal,too. it will VOID your home insurance.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

You're a little late to the party - the tank moved outside weeks ago. Here's someone who learned the hard way:

Eeew.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green