How can you tell how much propane is left in a tank?

Page 4 of 4
On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 16:37:55 -0500, "Robert Green"

Propane in the house IS more dangerous than natural gas, because being heavier than air it tends to "pool" in low spots - where you might not smell the mercapitan. Natural gas is lighter and mixes with the air, making a leak more likely to be smelled before there is a combustible concentation anywhere dangerous.

un-monitored.
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:41:24 -0500, "Robert Green"

for the reasons I stated before.
Robert Green posted for all of us...

--
Tekkie

probably illegal,too. it will VOID your home insurance.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You're a little late to the party - the tank moved outside weeks ago. Here's someone who learned the hard way:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/utahmom/Shane/ewwface_WEB.jpg
Eeew.
-- Bobby G.

I had some of those at least 20 years ago. They worked well except at temperature extremes. They also weren't weather/UV hardened so didn't last long.
wrote: <stuff snipped>

There were enough negative comments about pressure gauges on the Amazon site to make me seriously worried about whether a gauge would be helpful

Yep. I had to eliminate some potential solutions because of the "horse around" factor. Today, in the auto parts store, the 18 year old clerk said "next in line" and someone cut in front of me. She said no, the "old guy" was first. I looked around for a second and then realized she was talking about me!!!! )-:

That makes sense when you depend on propane for more than clearing occasional ice from the steps four months of the year. I might get an adapter to allow me to run my small emergency cook stove from the big tank - I even think that the fittings that came with the torch will allow me to do that. I'll have to look.
-- Bobby G.

Poor a little warm water down the side of the tank long enough for it to warm the area then use your hand to determine where the temperature changes from warm to cool and you will know the approximate level of the fluid inside within a 1/4 inch. I have used this method for a long time with good success.
=Your technique sounds ideal for the normal

i grill year round, occasionally have to bring the tank indoors and put in hot water to get it working.
yum steaks in zero degree,,,,,,,