Household Lube-- what do you use?

Page 1 of 2
So what are you using around the the house now-days.
I used to use WD40 on everything.. but I have started lately moving towards white lithium grease in aerosol can.
The wd40 seems to attract dirt and junk when it is dried up. I tend to now just use it to lubricate while drilling metal.. or to hit a bolt that I am screwing out.. or to loosten moderately stuck stuff.. but nothing "long term"
The White Lithim makes a mess when it goes on.. and looks bad, but I think it has better staying properties.
What do you use for general around the house stuff.. specifically bike chains & parts
Jack wrote:

You are noticing what you descibe because wd40 isn't a lubricant. I think more things have been ruined by wd40 than have been repaired by using it.
I like progold chain lube for bike chains because it doesn't collect dirt.

Triflow, in the dropper bottles. I do not use the spray any more.

Good ol' 3n1 (aka 10wt) oil. With an oil can of straight 30wt in the garage for heavier duty use.

A machinest friend gave me a partial can of cutting fluid, but again, 10wt oil does wonders.
Liquid wrench for rusty bolts, and I use Boeshield T-9 for protecting tools.

As others have suggested, a product designed for this specific application?
Jack wrote:

I use all kinds of lubes depending on what I am using it for.
For bike chains I use a lube designed for just that. Find it at any good bike shop. Pick up a chain cleaner where you are there. makes cleaning them a snap.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
What?... you to good to soak the chain in gasoline to clean it.. like we did as kids?
(It is amazing that I survived to adulthood!)
Ha! I know what you mean. I used to clean the chain in gas....and did one better. I scrubbed it with a wire brush.
On the topic though, it depends on the applciation. Some lubes are better for some things that others.
Chain lube tends to be designed not to fling off. Graphite doesn't attract dirt Silicone works well for things like windows and also doesn't attract dirt. Various oils work good for penetrants (liquid wrench, Kroil, Marvel Mystery Oil)
It depends on what you want to do.
Tony

Some of the stuff I use:
Wrench Force extra dry chain lube for bikes. Does not fling off. There are many brands. WD-40 (in tiny amounts) for storing tools rust free in garage. It is not a lube. Tetra lube or Breakfree for guns, and small parts. 3-in-1 for hinges, non-chain bike mechanisms, and fan bearings. Lithium grease for high shear apps, such as wheel bearings of all kinds. Garage Door grease - lith. or silicone - for screw drives and gar. door hinges. Silicone grease (will not rot rubber parts) for making up hose joints and waterproof apps. Graphite powder for door locks. Silicone stick for drawer glides, and wood against wood. Silicone (not wd40!) spray for derailleur and similar bicycle parts. Get the drift? There is no one good lube, but many.

Wrench Force extra dry chain lube for bikes. Does not fling off. There are many brands. CY: I've got a bike chain to lube, one of these days. I was considering white lith, makes less mess when it rubs onto my pants legs.
WD-40 (in tiny amounts) for storing tools rust free in garage. It is not a lube. CY: Does OK for removing stickers, and some other things.
Tetra lube or Breakfree for guns, and small parts. CY: Not heard of that.
3-in-1 for hinges, non-chain bike mechanisms, and fan bearings. CY: Fan berrings, needs Zoom Spout Turbine Oil. Three N One dries out too soon. Also ND20 works well, or two stroke gas mixer oil (no gasoline, please).
Lithium grease for high shear apps, such as wheel bearings of all kinds. CY: Also door hinges. And the latch mechanisms of cars.
Garage Door grease - lith. or silicone - for screw drives and gar. door hinges. CY: Sounds good.
Silicone grease (will not rot rubber parts) for making up hose joints and waterproof apps. CY: Good one.
Graphite powder for door locks. CY: If locks are exposed to the weather such as car door locks, I use spray oil. Whatever brand I've got in my hand is OK.
Silicone stick for drawer glides, and wood against wood. Silicone (not wd40!) spray for derailleur and similar bicycle parts. CY: I used cheap Walmart silicone one time on a bike chain. Popular Mechanics brand, if memory serves. Well, the family got home (five hours drive) and ac ouple days later the little guy's bike chain locked up. I'll never buy cheap junk silicone again.
Get the drift? There is no one good lube, but many.
CY: I have a Kwikset Tylo entry lock on the back door. the mechanism started to get cranky (not the keyhole part) and I packed it with wheel berring grease. Same grease I use on CV joint boots, except that with he CV boots I use a syringe needle on my grease gun.

For door locks the best I've found is STP. Applied before winter, the lock will not freeze. Graphite contains water and accelerates corrosion.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don\'t
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

The graphite I've used is a dry powder. Where is the water?
Bob

Inside the chrystal structure. Bake all the water out and you have soot.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don\'t
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Absolute nonsense. Graphite is pure crystalline carbon. No water in it at all.
--
Regards,
OK, I'm calling for references. Lets see some proof.

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.
OOOOHHH, that's a straight line!!!! Someone stop me!!!
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

STP?? In a door lock??? Might as well put glue in there.

Locks don't freeze anyway, unless they get water in them. That's one reason for having storm doors.

Baloney. Graphite doesn't contain water. It's a dry powder. Sometimes it's sold in an oil suspension, too, which is a *great* thing for lubing a lock.
--
Regards,

Graphite is hygroscopic. If it doesn't contain water when you unseal the tube, it will shortly thereafter.

Only if you're dumb enough to leave the cap off the tube.
--
Regards,
1) Lock Ease, they call it. I used to service the locks at a hotel that used lock ease. The stuff dries up, and creates more problems than it solves. I avoid the stuff, and ask people not to use it. (20 years experience as a locksmith)

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Many moons ago I used to work in a hardware store. We had locksmith on staff. He always used, and sent customers home with, graphite powder. He said that any oily substance would accumulate debris and eventually muck up the works.
I'm still on that page.