hotpoint gas range - top burners work oven does not

hoping for a little help on what to check. i have a hotpoint gas range (no electronic clock or anything fancy. the four top burners work fine. the oven does not light. the oven lights via a pilot light which is lit.
When I turn the oven knob up, the pilot light increases in intensity, but does not light the burner. It appears that gas does not emit from the burner so that the pilot light can ignite it.
Is there possibly a valve somewhere where this can be shut off?
Is it possible for the oven knob to increase the pilot light but not get the gas to emit from the burner? The knob seems fine -- no sticking or anything unusual. Any help appreciated.
Does anyone have schematics for the gas supply? This is my best bet for the moment.
Thanks
wosterman wrote:

Make sure the bulb at the end of the small "wire" that goes to the oven safety is engulfed completely in the secondary pilot, which is the more intense flame.